Famous for its bold and beautiful designs, the launch was rolled out in an equally striking manner, with the unveiling of Ghanaian TV icon Anita Erskine as the face of the campaign amongst an audience of Ghana's fashion elite.
Due to its strong connection with Africa, the brand is marking this major milestone by honouring African women, since they have played an indispensable role in their success.
Speaking at the launch ceremony, Managing Director of Vlisco, Erik Van Der Staaij grateful for how far the company has come, paid tribute to Vlisco’s various partners.
He said, "We could not have come this far without you," he added.
As a results of Vlisco’s strong connection with Africa, and African women especially, he said the company will mark the celebrations by honouring African women.
“They have played indispensable roles in the success of the brand."
He also reiterated Vlisco's commitment to empowering African women economically, socially and culturally.
As part of the celebration, Vlisco has asked seven women from six different countries in Central and West Africa, to be the faces of the 170 years campaign.
This includes the world famous, Grammy winning African singer Angelique Kidjo.
With their inspiring stories, Vlisco is celebrating the pride, perseverance and strength of African women who share their passion for Vlisco and their commitment to society.
Here in Ghana, radio personality and actress, Anita Erskine will be the face of the campaign.
In her acceptance of the offer, Anita said wearing Vlisco allows her to stand out with pride, enabling her to celebrate her love for Africa.
“Vlisco has always held a special place in my heart and I could not be more honoured to be chosen as the face of their anniversary campaign,” she added.
As part of her role as face of the 170th anniversary campaign, Anita will be featured across various media in a special documercial, vibrant new billboards and across other outlets, showcasing her drive, passion, style and engagement in society.
In line with the campaign theme ‘Female Empowerment', Vlisco demonstrated how important supporting women is to their mission and values by making a generous donation to a charitable cause chosen by the face of the campaign, Anita Erskine.
The donation was made in support of Najaat Hussein's education.
Vivacious TV presenter Kokui Selormey hosted the launch, beginning the three month campaign that will commemorate 170 years of Vlisco being an authentic part of African culture.
As part of the anniversary campaign, Vlisco will be running a series of special promotional events, competitions and exhibitions for the rest of the year.
Have your say
More Lifestyle Headlines
- Medical drones: IMANI condemns backers’ lack of knowledge of deal
- Hold on to your relationships: it's officially "breakup season"
- Restaurant dishes 'contain more calories than fast-food meals'
- Rapper Nicki Minaj's relationship with sexual offender upsets fans
- Oyoko women undergo free cervical cancer screening
- Drone Delivery Service: We are shocked at GMA’s inconsistency - Gov’t
- Medical drone project "inflated", "misplaced" -- Ato Forson insists
- Wife reads out husband’s affair texts instead of vows at wedding
- All of the best and worst love advice I learned from watching Christmas movies
- FDA hits beaches with tobacco, tramadol education
- Ghanaian doctor, German save life of a Ghanaian onboard KLM flight
- Posting children’s images exposes them to danger. This is how
- How sex bonds couples, and why sometimes it's not enough
- Mass Tilapia deaths recorded in Eastern Region
- The reason you sweat in your sleep