The Ministry of Health says following an outbreak of a food-based disease in South Africa, foods from that country have been put under scrutiny.
According to the Ministry, dairy products, fruits and vegetables coming from South Africa into Ghana are being monitored to prevent a similar outbreak of the disease.
The disease, Listeriosis, is food poisoning caused by eating foods contaminated with Listeria Monocytogenes, a release from the Health Ministry explains.
According to an online article about the disease, it primarily causes infections of the central nervous system (meningitis, meningoencephalitis, brain abscess, cerebritis) and bacteremia in those who are immunocompromised, pregnant women, and those at the extremes of age (newborns and the elderly), as well as gastroenteritis in healthy persons who have been severely infected.
However, the Ministry says, “there is no cause for alarm and we shall continue to monitor, investigate and assess the quality of plant and animal products coming from South Africa.”
Read the full alert from the Ministry below:
The Ministry of Health has noted with concern the outbreak of LISTERIOSIS in South Africa.
Listeriosis is food poisoning caused by eating foods contaminated with Listeria Monocytogenes. This affects some meat and dairy products, fruits and vegetables.
In view of the public health concern and to avoid a similar outbreak here in Ghana, the Food and Drugs Authority (FDA) is monitoring the situation and has increased surveillance on meat, dairy products, fruits and vegetables from South Africa to ensure that they are not contaminated.
All officers at the various ports of entry have been tasked to be more vigilant and inspections have been intensified.
We are, therefore, assuring the Ghanaian public that there is no cause for alarm and we shall continue to monitor, investigate and assess the quality of plant and animal products coming from South Africa.
Have your say
More Lifestyle Headlines
- Ghanaian doctor, German save life of a Ghanaian onboard KLM flight
- Posting children’s images exposes them to danger. This is how
- How sex bonds couples, and why sometimes it's not enough
- Mass Tilapia deaths recorded in Eastern Region
- The reason you sweat in your sleep
- Here's why you develop crushes, according to science
- South Tongu convenes over rising HIV incidence
- Female condom more pleasurable than male ones - GHS Boss
- Don't substitute robust medical supplies delivery system for drones – Think tank
- Do you believe in sexual destiny?
- Hypertension epidemic: Silent global killer
- Why you should call each other embarrassing pet names
- Kean Medical Center operating illegally - HEFRA
- Ernest Chemists Ltd supports Kwahu Government Hospital
- The health risks of being a night owl