Audio By Carbonatix
The Ghana Maritime Authority (GMA) has been removing tree stumps from inland waterways on the Volta Lake.
So far, the authority has removed 21,000 of these tree stumps from various routes mostly on the Volta Lake, Director General, Thomas Kofi Alonsi has disclosed.

He said since the removal of the stumps on these waterways, transport services have greatly improved, yielding huge economic and social dividends to the people who live around these communities.
He was speaking at a press briefing in Accra on Wednesday, August 11, 2021.
He said: “apart from the human element, the main causes of accident on the Volta Lake include the absence of safe navigational channels. The Authority has, therefore, embarked on the removal of submerged tree stumps that constitutes hazards to navigation.

"The main reason for removing these tree stumps is to create navigational channels in order to enhance the safety of navigation.
“The Authority has therefore selected some routes along the Volta Lake and undertaken this exercise of ensuring that we remove these tree stumps which in all, 21,000 from various routes on the Volta Lake have been removed,” he added.

This he said includes the removal of 2,200 tree stumps on 2.5 kilometres of waterways from Dambai to Dodoikope, 3,550 tree stumps on 8 kilometres of waterways from Yeji to Makango, 4,800 tree stumps on 11 kilometres of waterways from Yeji to Awujakope and 10,490 tree stumps on 30 kilometres of waterways from Tumpunjah to Kodorkope to Dambai TO Njare all along the Volta Lake.
He said previously, ferries and boats could not operate in these waterways after 5 pm due to poor visibility, often leaving commuters stranded and desperate but that has now changed noting that ferries and boats are now able to navigate safely on the lake up to 8 pm.
Latest Stories
-
IES demands release of July 29 blackout report after latest nationwide outage
7 minutes -
Eastern TESCON backs Boakye Agyarko for NPP National Chairman
12 minutes -
Eduwatch demands review of BOGISS decision against 14-year-old alleged sexual abuse victim
18 minutes -
Banking sector was undercapitalised for much of decade preceding 2017 cleanup – Opoku-Afari
19 minutes -
Togo charges two French journalists over incorrect documents, rights group says
20 minutes -
Education Ministry condemns alleged sexual abuse of BOGISS student
30 minutes -
Lawyers challenge demolition of elderly woman’s Oyarifa residence, demand formal engagement
44 minutes -
Change in mode of support package for Ghanaians returning from South Africa delayed announcement – MTN Board Chairman
45 minutes -
Mining industry must rethink social licence with youth at the centre – GoldBod CEO
50 minutes -
BoG encourages banks to list on GSE to unlock long-term capital
1 hour -
NSMQ 2026: Nandom SHS complete stunning comeback, edge Ghana SHS by a point to reach one-eighth stage
1 hour -
NPP must heal and rebuild after 2024 defeat to win 2028 election – Former Volta Regional Organiser of the NPP
1 hour -
Egypt to host Africa’s premier business forum
1 hour -
The bicycle principle: why continuity matters more than balance
2 hours -
Fire guts three-storey building near Manhyia Palace in Kumasi
2 hours