Lionel Messi has said it is a “shame” Liverpool forward Sadio Mane did not finish higher than fourth in the Ballon d’Or rankings.
Barcelona’s number 10 won the award for a record sixth time ahead of Liverpool defender Virgil Van Dijk and Juventus’ Cristiano Ronaldo, who remains stuck on five Ballon d’Or trophies.
However, Messi, who voted for Mane in FIFA’s Best award, thinks the Senegal international was unlucky not to break into the top three after a “sensational” season.
“It’s a shame to see Mane finish in fourth place,” Messi told Canal+.
“But I think there have been a lot of great players this year. That’s why it was difficult to choose a particular player. But I chose Sadio Mane because he’s a player that I like.
“Mane achieved a great year that was exceptional for the entire Liverpool team. That’s why I chose him. I repeat, there were a lot of very great players this year, so the choice was difficult.”
Mane has had a great 12 months for Liverpool, playing a vital role in last season’s Champions League win and helping the team to a club-record 31 games unbeaten in the league.
- Danadams Pharmaceuticals and CEO in court over alleged fraud and forgery
- Disregard statement declaring Friday, Sept 30 as a holiday – Oyibi Divisional Council
- GFA suspends 2022/23 Ghana Premier League over court injunction
- Man arrested for threatening to release nude videos of late brother’s wife
- ‘I’m extremely regretful’ – KiDi apologises for ‘inappropriate and unkind’ old tweets
- T Bills, short-term securities will not be affected by Ghana’s debt restructuring – US-based Associate Professor
- Land acquisition: Here is what you missed on Joy FM’s Super Morning Show
- Pastor jailed for life after planning coup and black genocide
- Every single day Akufo-Addo remains President, the country drifts into peril – Dr Amoako Baah
- We will still be a prime supplier of Mercedes-Benz services in Ghana – Silver Star
- West African leaders in Mali over detained Ivorians
- NCA, AG dragged to court over directives on SIM re-registration
- Adidas row: Morocco demands change to Algerian jersey design
- Linguistics Association of Ghana explores ways to make language socially relevant
- Ghana’s export to Burkina Faso increased to $276million in 2021
- Book containing late Prof Mills’ SONA christened “Atta Mills Speaks” launched
- Trevor Noah is leaving ‘The Daily Show’
- Banking sector crisis was not systemic – Alhassan Andani
- Banking Sector Clean-up: We should have allowed institutional disciplines to work – Alhassan Andani
- Banking sector crisis: State institutions must raise red flags at the right time – Alhassan Andani
- GRASAG launches Graduate Research Trust Fund
- British Airways flight A380 makes technical stop at KIA
- Ghana, Korea $8 million rice project kicks off in Assin North
- SIM re-registration: National Security has warned Akufo-Addo against blockage – Deputy Minority Chief Whip
- We are engaging ECG to fix anomaly with electricity purchase – PURC