The Savannah Regional Minister, Mr Saeed Muhazu Jibril has appealed to traditional authorities to support his administration to bring lasting solution to the menace of illegal mining, logging and commercial charcoal production.
According to him, such activities were destroying forests in the Region and gave the assurance that his administration was determined to stop them, hence the need for traditional authorities to support him, as custodians of the land.
Mr Jibril made the appeal when he paid courtesy calls on the Paramount Chiefs of Wasipe and Busunu Traditional Areas in the North Gonja and West Gonja Assemblies to officially introduce himself to them as the new Regional Minister.
Both chiefs gave their assurance and readiness to support the Minister to achieve his vision for the region.
Wasipewura Anayme Kabasagya (II) appealed to the Minister to facilitate the completion of the Busunu to Daboya Mankarigu road, which had been abandoned.
Busunuwura Monasa Jonokpowu (II) also appealed for the creation of a District in his traditional area to accelerate development.
The Regional Minister, prior to visiting the Chiefs, held a press conference where he spoke about the major concerns affecting the Region, which needed urgent attention.
He said small scale mining would be regularised in the Region to allow those, who obtained licenses, to responsibly mine in the communities.
He said this would facilitate the payment of royalties for the development of the Region, adding that, proper procedures would be followed to ensure that mining pits were reclaimed.
He said the Regional Coordinating Council constituted a taskforce that would ensure enforcement of the law to help curb the menace of illegal mining, logging and commercial charcoal production in the Region.
Meanwhile, the Regional Minister had already visited the Yagbonwura, Overlord of the Gonja Traditional Area, who had also assured him of his readiness and commitment of the traditional council to work with him to protect the environment.
- Social media users react to DSP Azugu’s alleged role in assault on Citi FM journalist
- ASEPA calls for the removal of GJA President, Affail Monney
- Don’t reduce our schools to ideological and religious fighting grounds – Akufo-Addo tells religious leaders
- NSMQ 2021: Mfantsipim destroys Adisadel, University Practice and Assin State College to win Central Regional Championship
- Akufo-Addo and his NPP government are reducing Ghana to a police state – Haruna Iddrisu
- We have not failed humanity by building prison infrastructure – Church of Pentecost
- GPL wrap: Kotoko extend gap at top after Olympics surrender lead
- Court adjourns Assin North MP’s case over hearing of applications
- Francis Xavier-Sosu: Eid-ul-Fitr reflections – Human rights and security implications, the case of Wesley Girls’ and the Methodist Church
- Education Minister engages stakeholders of Christian Mission Schools over Wesley Girls’ brouhaha
Akufo-Addo visits France, Belgium and South Africa as part of post-Covid engagements
Today’s front pages: Friday, May 14, 2021
NSMQ2021: Perfect ‘salah’ gift as Tamale SHS wins maiden Northern Zonal Championship
Coach Paa Kwasi Fabin names 27-man Black Meteors squad to face Japan
Real Madrid win to keep title dream alive
GPL wrap: Kotoko extend gap at top after Olympics surrender lead
Liverpool boost top four hopes with win at Man Utd
Sancho and Haaland score doubles as Dortmund win German Cup
National Security Ministry to probe alleged assault on Citi FM journalists by security operatives
Government is committed to investing more in the youth – NYA Deputy CEO
NSMQ 2021: Tamale Islamic SHS denied ‘Eid-Trophy’ after Notre Dame SHS exited them at semis of Northern Zonal Championship
Don’t reduce our schools to ideological and religious fighting grounds – Akufo-Addo tells religious leaders
NSMQ 2021: Mfantsipim destroys Adisadel, University Practice and Assin State College to win Central Regional Championship
Full text: Speaker Alban Bagbin’s message on the occasion of Eid-ul-Fitr
Driver arraigned over expired insurance certificate