Audio By Carbonatix
The Head of Public Relations at COCOBOD, Fifi Boafo has said the Minority in Parliament's call for the resignation of COCOBOD Chief Executive Officer, Joseph Boahen Aidoo is an act of retaliation.
Speaking in an interview on Joy FM’s Top Story on Wednesday, he claimed that the call came as a result of the COCOBOD CEO correcting former President Mahama in a statement about his remarks regarding the increase in the price of cocoa to GH¢1,308.
Mr Mahama complained that the increase was insufficient and called the government "insensitive" to the plight of farmers.
But in a response, the COCOBOD CEO in a statement dated September 12 said Mr Mahama ought to be acquainted with the procedure for determining the producer price of cocoa.
Mr Aidoo explained that the 2023/24 crop was sold between October 2022 and March 2023 at international prices ranging from $2,200 to $2,400 per tonne.
“Since you have had the privilege of being in government before as the number one gentleman of the country, it is expected that you would be familiar with the process for determining the producer price of cocoa.
“I am, therefore, surprised that you chose, rather erroneously, to use the current international market price of cocoa at $3,600 per tonne as the basis for your calculation in your post on the recently announced producer price,” portions of the statement read.
For this reason, the Head of Public Relations at COCOBOD believes the call for the CEO's resignation is simply an act to get back at Mr Aidoo.
“This is just a way of getting back at him [COCOBOD CEO]. It is to be expected. The people who obviously, briefed the former President to make that mistake are the ones talking. So it is a way of diluting matters just to wash what they have done,” he said.
His comment comes against the backdrop of the Minority requesting the resignation of the COCOBOD CEO, for allegedly running down COCOBOD and shortchanging farmers.
According to the Minority Leader, Dr Cassiel Ato Forson, the cocoa sector has seen the lowest production in 15 years.
He added that COCOBOD has also recorded massive losses since 2017.
“Everything has gone bad at the Ghana COCOBOD. Last year, according to their own audit report, they declared a loss of 2.4 billion cedis in one year and the question is what is going on?
“Clearly, I don’t think that Joseph Boahen Aidoo deserves to be in office. He has mismanaged the cocoa sector massively, he has been reckless, shortchanged the cocoa farmers and in the end, he has brought productivity down, and so I don’t see he should be in office. He should rather resign instead of insulting former president Mahama," he said.
Latest Stories
-
Volta Regional Minister assures PAC of stricter supervision of government projects
12 minutes -
Can Parliament enforce its own laws?
44 minutes -
ECG announces major transformer upgrade at Batsonaa – see the affected areas
45 minutes -
Ghanaian released after 77 days in Burkinabe detention
54 minutes -
Football Noise, Economic Silence
55 minutes -
Replacing Haruna and Muntaka in Parliament was strategic for Election 2024 – Asiedu Nketia, Osei Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu explain the plot
1 hour -
Security service recruitment medical results to be released next week – Interior Minister
1 hour -
Ghana’s tech prodigies set for Geneva after triumphant ‘Robotics for Good’ national qualifiers
1 hour -
World Bank document shows 27 countries seeking to ensure access to crisis funds
1 hour -
Mahama says Ghana’s IMF programme was close to derailment before he took over
1 hour -
Uganda confirms 3 new Ebola cases, bringing total to 5
1 hour -
Senegal president sacks PM Sonko, dissolves government after months of friction
2 hours -
Security recruitment medical results to be released next week – Interior Minister
2 hours -
Mahama rules out IMF ‘kenkey and waakye parties’, takes swipe at erstwhile Akufo-Addo gov’t
2 hours -
Mahama says Ghana’s economy still needs major reforms despite IMF progress
2 hours