Audio By Carbonatix
Ghana Geological Survey Authority (GGSA) has confirmed what it describes as a “moderate earthquake” in Accra with a 3.9 magnitude on a Richter scale.
The incident happen Saturday at about 11:22pm and was felt 15km away from GIMPA where the Survey Authority’s equipment is located.
It was felt in the usual suspected places like Weija, Gbawe, McCarthy Hill which is within the Ga South Municipality. It was also experienced in other areas such as Gbawe, Sowutuom, Old Kasoa Barrier, New Bortianor, Awoshie, Abelemkpe, Tabora, Achimota, Ablekuma, Kissiman, Westland, Laterbiokorshie and Legon
Photo: Construction works in Weija
According to a GGSA senior official Nicholas Opoku, the 3.9 magnitude recorded is the highest in 2019.
He said the Survey Authority recorded 2.6 magnitude on the Richter scale in January 13, 2019 and 2.8 in February 25, 2019 with the third pointing to increasing seismic activity within Accra.
“As for bigger earthquakes, one day it will come”, he said in an interview with Joy News’ Fred Smith. He predicted but “as to when is always a problem that semiologist have not been able to unravel”.
He said within the seismological community increasing magnitude can mean the worst is ahead while others argue, the worst could be behind.
He said the best way to handle an earthquake is to “build resilience” and explained Ghana would have to take a closer look at areas where the risk is very high and consider evacuation.
Research work dating back to 1981 indicates that most of the earthquakes in Ghana occur in the western part of Accra at the junction of the two major fault systems namely, the Coastal boundary fault and Akwapim fault zone.
According to the research, most of the epicentres are located south of Weija suggesting that there is little activity north-eastward along the Akwapim range and westward along the Coastal boundary fault.

Photo: Ghana’s coastal belt is prone to earthquakes
The magnitude recorded so far in 2019 is still a distance from 6.5 magnitude, highest ever recorded in 1939 in which 17 were killed in Accra.
Latest Stories
-
Ablakwa seeks Russian support for Africa-led fight against Sahel extremism
11 minutes -
Host mining communities are partners in development, not obstacles – GJA President
12 minutes -
Ghana to sign 5 new petroleum agreements soon – Energy Minister
13 minutes -
GJA President urges Ghana to weigh environmental and social costs alongside mining revenues
25 minutes -
Irresponsible mining: The land is not your own – Prof Mike Oquaye cautions
32 minutes -
62 Ghanaians killed, 15 missing in Russia-Ukraine war – Ablakwa
33 minutes -
GJA President urges responsible, sustainable mining
34 minutes -
Ghana must take charge of its mineral resources – Prof. Mike Oquaye
40 minutes -
KickedIn uses technology to connect African football talent with global opportunities
41 minutes -
GoldBod did not record GH¢22bn loss; audited accounts show GH¢5.44bn surplus – Institute of Fiscal Policy Governance
45 minutes -
Mining comes with responsibility to future generations – Ga Mantse
48 minutes -
Ga Mantse calls for measurable CSR and stronger local participation in mining communities
54 minutes -
Ga Mantse urges mining industry to protect communities beyond the life of mines
1 hour -
Empowerher in Upper West region
2 hours -
Ga Mantse challenges mining stakeholders to consider long-term impact of Ghana’s mineral wealth
2 hours