The National House of Chiefs has set July 15 as the date for the appeal hearing of the aged old Bunkpurugu chieftaincy dispute between the Jamong and Jafouk royal families in the North East Region.
The Northern Regional House of Chiefs, in 2019, after more than 16yrs of sitting, ruled in favour of the Jamong family, declaring the enskinment of the current chief, Naa Abuba Nasimong null and void.
In a ruling in Tamale on Thursday August 29, 2019, the Court observed that the chief could not trace his lineage to any of the two known royal gates to be enskinned as a chief of the area.
The three member judicial committee in its ruling, essentially, instructed Naa Abuba to return the traditional regalia to the enskining authority – the Nayiri, for a new chief to be chosen from the Jamong family.
However, both the Nayiri and the Jafouk family together with the defeated chief rejected the ruling.
Naa Abuba subsequently filed an appeal at the National House of Chief in Kumasi to challenge the ruling.
In a letter inviting the feuding families and intercepted by JoyNews, the House has set July 15 for hearing to commence.
- Former Minister for Monitoring and Evaluation, Dr Akoto Osei dies aged 64
- 2 Ghanaian students honoured for topping West Africa in 2022 WASSCE
- Bridget Otoo’s horrifying story of how her car was nearly snatched on Tema motorway
- Interest rates on falling spree; government T-bills oversubscribed by 40%
- Police probe Prof Frimpong Boateng’s Jubilee House ‘galamsey’ allegations
- AFCON 2023Q: Chris Hughton opens Black Stars camp with 8 players
- GACL settles GH¢10m out of GH¢28m owed ECG; balance to be paid in 2-weeks
- Ofori-Atta leaves for China for crucial debt restructuring negotiations
- Avoid mass gatherings, restrict your movements to safe areas – Ghana’s Mission in SA to Ghanaians
- ECG recovers GHȼ18.5m out of ȼ46.9m from 3 state institutions
- The South African choir that performed for Queen Victoria
- Stop the arrogance, downsize your government – Fifi Kwetey tells Akufo-Addo
- Akufo-Addo’s government suffering a complete collapse of credibility – Fifi Kwetey
- Akufo-Addo’s government has been the luckiest in terms of resources, they have no excuse – Fifi Kwetey
- IMF lied about Covid-19, Ukraine war being cause of Ghana’s economic woes – Fifi Kwetey
- Akufo-Addo still in campaign mode – Fifi Kwetey
- Reset your priorities – Sammy Gyamfi tells government
- Climate-smart agricultural practices should be linked to household food security – Climate expert
- Accra Visual Arts Week is back
- Let’s generate African data to empower our AI systems – Computer scientist
- Playback: One-on-one with Fifi Kwetey on PM Express
- I won’t let politics destroy our brotherhood – Fred Nuamah on fracas with John Dumelo
- IMF Executive Board approves US$3bn under new Extended Fund Facility arrangement for Sri Lanka
- 10 enthralling reasons to tune into Joy Prime channel
- Abolish Section 27 of CAP 127 which makes Islamic marriages invalid – Dwomoh