Audio By Carbonatix
Netflix will reduce the video quality on its service in Europe for the next 30 days, to reduce the strain on internet service providers.
Demand for streaming has increased because large parts of Europe are self-isolating at home due to the coronavirus outbreak.
The video-streaming provider said lowering the picture quality would reduce Netflix data consumption by 25%.
But it said viewers would still find the picture quality good.
The change appears to include the UK but Netflix has not responded to the BBC's request for confirmation on this.
Video quality
The company will cut its streaming bitrates, which influence how clear and smooth videos look when streamed online.
Videos with a higher bitrate tend to look less "blocky" or pixelated, but use more data.
The announcement came after a phone call with European officials.
Thierry Breton, the European Commissioner for the Internal Market, had earlier said people should "switch to standard definition when HD [high-definition] is not necessary".
An hour of standard definition video uses about 1GB of data, while HD can use up to 3GB an hour.
Netflix also offers ultra-high-definition 4K video for some of its programmes.
Netflix's decision to reduce video bitrate by a quarter appears to be a compromise.
"Following the discussions between Commissioner Thierry Breton and [Netflix chief executive] Reed Hastings, and given the extraordinary challenges raised by the coronavirus, Netflix has decided to begin reducing bitrates across all our streams in Europe for 30 days," the company said.
Commissioner Breton praised the "very prompt action" Netflix took just hours after the phone call, saying it would "preserve the smooth functioning of the internet during the Covid-19 crisis".
Internet usage
Netflix has not yet said whether the bitrate reduction will be applied to other areas such as North America.
Internet usage has been heightened in the last few weeks as more people work from home and avoid going out.
Telecoms giant Vodafone reported a 50% rise in internet use in Europe earlier this week.
Facebook chief executive Mark Zuckerberg said on Wednesday that the platform was seeing "big surges" as users tried to stay connected with friends.
The social media boss said the company typically saw its largest surge in use on New Year's Eve, but that recent demand had outpaced that.
Latest Stories
-
NDC parliamentary leadership reshuffle secured 2024 election victory – Asiedua Nketiah
1 hour -
Agbodza visits Adaklu-Helekpe mudslide victims, warns of more danger around mountain
1 hour -
TTAG urge government’s urgent action on recruitment and postings
1 hour -
World Vision Ghana brings joy to Wa West children with mass birthday celebration
2 hours -
NAIMOS arrest one foreign national and 7 Ghanaians in anti-galamsey operation in Ashanti Region
2 hours -
Health Ministry announces mop-up exercise for validation and posting of health professionals
2 hours -
GoldBod wins community backing for responsible mining support program in Ashanti Region
2 hours -
Xenophobic attack: Why announce evacuation without preparation? – Minority caucus questions gov’t
2 hours -
Government failed Ghanaians in South Africa — Minority slams evacuation delay
2 hours -
Heavy downpour leaves Kaneshie, other parts of Accra flooded
2 hours -
Mahama’s STEM push aims to build curious, creative students – Haruna Iddrisu
2 hours -
Swimming stakeholders call for legitimate governance and constitutional elections in Ghana Swimming
2 hours -
Akatsi Police seize suspected cannabis consignment, driver escapes
2 hours -
EU investment in Ghana reaches $16bn – GIPC’s Boss
3 hours -
GPSCP II and TCDA partner to boost regulation and investment in tree crops sector
3 hours