Five people have died in Guatemala after they were electrocuted while decorating a Christmas tree in a public park.
The five, one woman and four men, accidentally made contact with high voltage cables while hanging ornaments on an artificial Christmas tree made of iron and wires, local press reported.
The dead were between 17 and 24 years old.
The incident occurred in El Carmen Frontera, on the border with Mexico.
Tweets showed the tree lying on its side in the town's park.
Rescue workers said the five had died instantly.
Residents said the Christmas tree had been erected in the same place for the past 20 years without any problems.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Mortuary workers to strike over unfavourable working conditions
- Gov't does not have what it takes to sustain Free SHS programme - Prof. Aryeetey
- Motorists appeal to government to fix street lights
- That's My Opinion: Is Free SHS for votes or for development?
- We used rubber bullets on Adentan protestors not live ammunition – Police
- KNUST primary teachers strike
- Petition for removal of Chief Justice sent to President
- Patrons ask for more of Luv FM-Golden Tulip Bridal Fair
- More classroom, dormitories from $1.5bn GETFund facility - Akufo-Addo
- Addis Ababa to host Ethio-Ghana Trade & Finance Conference in April 2019
- Ghanaian launches '100 Laptop Give Away Project' for African students
- Free SHS: Minister justifies aggregate 30s in ‘big’ schools
- Ghana will lose pride of place as best performing WASSCE country – Ablakwa fears
- 2019 Suzuki Jimny hits Ghanaian market
- Today's front pages