A Juvenile Court in Accra has sentenced an 18-year-old third-year student of Achimota Senior High School, who shot a female colleague with his father’s single barrel gun to sentenced to three years imprisonment.
This was after the court presided over by Bernardine S.A Senoo found him guilty on the charge of manslaughter.
The convict is, however, to serve his sentence in a Correctional Home in Accra.
The convict was reported to have brought out his father’s gun, under a bed, with the intent of shooting in the air but ended up killing his friend Lily Donkor, who is also a third-year student at the same school.
On January 4, 2017, at about 14:00 hours the deceased Lily, who lived at Cantonments visited the accused person at Community eight in Tema.
According to the prosecution, the accused went into his father’s room and picked up his father’s single barrel gun and shot the victim in the abdomen.
On January 5, this year, the convict told the police that he intended to shoot into the air however the gravity of the gun changed course and hit the deceased.
The prosecution said one Madam Gifty Billy, a neighbour, heard the gunshot and went to the scene only to see the victim lying in a pool of blood.
The prosecution said Gifty rushed the victim to the Port Clinic in Tema.
However, due to the condition of the victim, she was transferred to the 37 Military Hospital in Accra, where she died on admission.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Mortuary workers to strike over unfavourable working conditions
- Gov't does not have what it takes to sustain Free SHS programme - Prof. Aryeetey
- Motorists appeal to government to fix street lights
- That's My Opinion: Is Free SHS for votes or for development?
- We used rubber bullets on Adentan protestors not live ammunition – Police
- KNUST primary teachers strike
- Petition for removal of Chief Justice sent to President
- Patrons ask for more of Luv FM-Golden Tulip Bridal Fair
- More classroom, dormitories from $1.5bn GETFund facility - Akufo-Addo
- Addis Ababa to host Ethio-Ghana Trade & Finance Conference in April 2019
- Ghanaian launches '100 Laptop Give Away Project' for African students
- Free SHS: Minister justifies aggregate 30s in ‘big’ schools
- Ghana will lose pride of place as best performing WASSCE country – Ablakwa fears
- 2019 Suzuki Jimny hits Ghanaian market
- Today's front pages