Five people have died in Guatemala after they were electrocuted while decorating a Christmas tree in a public park.
The five, one woman and four men, accidentally made contact with high voltage cables while hanging ornaments on an artificial Christmas tree made of iron and wires, local press reported.
The dead were between 17 and 24 years old.
The incident occurred in El Carmen Frontera, on the border with Mexico.
Tweets showed the tree lying on its side in the town's park.
Rescue workers said the five had died instantly.
Residents said the Christmas tree had been erected in the same place for the past 20 years without any problems.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- ‘Sack Ursula’: MP urges after ‘rude’ letter to BoG Secretary
- Political leaders should live up to their trusts - Peace Council Chair
- Journalist in ¢5m blackmail of ECG MD
- LECIAD sends off Prof. Mensa-Bonsu in style
- TUC pushes for utility tariff reduction
- 20,000 pieces of wax prints impounded for tax evasion
- GES worried over lack of attention for Physical Education
- Contempt of court looms over construction of Madina-Adentan footbridges
- Man’s presumed brain tumor miraculously disappears a day before surgery
- B/A: UNDP, COCOBOD train community resource managers
- Today's front pages
- Coach acquitted and discharged over “fingering” a minor
- Wives United in Prayer Newtwork supports blind coconut seller
- Defunct UT Bank chases Woyome for GH¢9.4m debt
- E.P. Church honours Bawumia for his religious tolerance