A 60-year-old farmer, James Obeng Boateng, from the Brong Ahafo region has been adjudged the 2018 National Best Farmer at a ceremony held in the Northern regional capital, Tamale.
Mr. Boateng from the Nkoranza South district of the region has been farming for the past 18 years, producing cassava, cocoyam, cereals, okro, pepper, garden eggs, mango and cashew.
The father of six also rears cattle, goats, sheep and manages two fish ponds as well as 100 boxes of beehives.
The national award comes with a ¢480,000 cheque, a huge improvement from the events first edition in 1985 where the winner took home cutlasses.
Mr. Obeng Boateng had his cheque presented to him by the President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo at the events 34th edition.
In a citation, the overall best farmer was described as a philanthropist helping to renovate teachers’ bungalows in the district.
He is also a former 1st Runner-Up at the awards organised in the Nkoranza district of the Brong Ahafo region.
Mr. Obeng Boateng takes over from Philip Kweku Agyeman who won the 33rd edition in 2017 and also hails from the Brong Ahafo region.
It means Brong Ahafo region retains the national award.
A farmer from the Central region, Charity Akotia, was also adjudged the 1st Runner-Up while Alex Frimpong who farms in the Kwahu Afram Plains of the Eastern region took the 2nd Runner-Up position.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Adjaye refutes architects’ allegation - Says firm is doing legitimate business
- Newspaper headlines : Friday, July 19, 2019
- Teachers urged to encourage students to excel
- Police open investigation into fatal Akrokerri mine pit collapse
- TUC backs plan to restructure NIB, ADB
- Forestry Commission bans hunting, capturing of wild animals
- MTN Heroes of Change 2019: Meet the Ekumfi man putting books on library shelves
- Indian man hasn’t cut or washed his hair in 40 years
- Flight attendants share their biggest passenger pet peeves
- UNESCO, ECOWAS sign MOU to enhance safety of Journalists in West Africa
- Third complaint against Sir David Adjaye over multiple contracts
- Christian family refuses to pay income taxes because it “goes against God’s will”
- Woman, 34, murdered in Agona Swedru
- Parliament approves conversion of UDS Wa campus into University
- 43-year-old mechanic jailed 5 years for beating up police officers