National Coordinator, National Farmers’ Day Secretariat, Mr Philip Osei-Nkrumah, has said that there will be no regional celebration of the 2018 National Farmers’ Day.
The decision to cancel the Regional celebrations was due to the fact that more funds were being used for regional funfair to the detriment of the districts, Mr Philip Osei-Nkrumah has told the Ghana News Agency (GNA).
Mr Osei-Nkrumah said in view of that Government had directed that all funds meant for regional Farmers’ Day celebration should be channelled for the strengthening of the district celebrations.
The 2018 National Farmer Day, which is on the general theme: “Agriculture, Moving Ghana beyond Aid,” would be observed only at the district and national levels.
This year’s activities started with a National Agricultural Fair from Thursday, November 29, which is expected to hit its climaxed on Friday, December 7, at the Aliu Mahama Sports Stadium in Tamale, Northern Region.
Mr Osei-Nkrumah explained that five categories of winners from each Region – the Regional Best Farmers, First Runner-Up, Second Runner-Up, Regional Best Agricultural Extension Agent, and Regional Best Fisherman, would be honoured by the President at the National Celebration.
The National Farmers Day is commemorated each year on the first Friday of December to honour the nation's gallant farmers and fishers.
The event acknowledges the vital position farmers and fishers occupy in the nations socio-economic development.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Threat of terror: ‘Be vigilant of suspicious behaviours’ - GPCC
- This woman claims she can’t find a job because of her good looks
- The ‘sacred forests’ of northern Ethiopia
- We're confident missing Taadi girls will be found - Ghana Gas to families
- Police retrieve Stonebwoy’s pistol
- 6th National Policy Summit launched
- Photos: Methodist Girls' SHS wins 2019 World ROBOFEST competition
- That's My Opinion: If it's good in America then it's good in Ghana?
- Photos: Ayariga fears for his cars after 45-mins rain
- Man chooses jail over going home to wife
- Church terror scare: Sunday school children are easy targets - Police
- Adopt positive attitude towards Ghana's dev't - Papa Owusu-Ankomah
- Two staff at Office of Special Prosecutor allegedly steal fuel
- Thousands of Burkinabes flee to Ghana over unrest
- Newspaper headlines: Monday, May 20, 2019