Ex-president John Mahama has branded US President Donald Trump as a racist after he reportedly used crude language to describe African nations, Haiti and El Salvador.
In a Twitter message Friday, the former president accused Mr Trump of pursuing a policy of making America “White Again” instead of “Great Again.”
The US president has come under attack after he was reported to have called some nations “shitholes” in a White House remark.
Shithole? Thought they said he was so impressed with us just last September? pic.twitter.com/Z8Y6sG4DBK— John Dramani Mahama (@JDMahama) January 13, 2018
US diplomats around the world were summoned for formal reproach and to explain Mr Trump's comment.
Ex-president John Mahama
The United Nations (UN) in a strongly-worded statement said the US president’s remark was purely racist, while the Vatican has described it as offensive.
In a response labelled by international media as damage control, Mr Trump has denied using derogatory words but admitted his language was "tough."
But Democratic Senator Dick Durbin who was reportedly at the meeting said the US president used "shitholes" in the context of African countries.
"Shithole was the exact word used once not twice but repeatedly," Mr Durbin was quoted to have said.
Reacting to the comment in a tweet posted at 6:56 p.m. Mr Mahama expressed shock over the US president’s action and charged the African Union (AU) to condemn same.
Africans and Haitians come from ‘shithole’ countries? Isn’t Trump demonstrating that he’s nothing but a racist and pursuing a policy of ‘Make America White Again’? I congratulate Botswana for showing the way. Our AU Presidents must respond strongly to this insult.— John Dramani Mahama (@JDMahama) January 12, 2018
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Curfew imposed at Bole over deadly chieftaincy clashes
- SSGL is Environmental, Sanitation Services Company of the Year
- 42 minors rescued from slavery on Volta Lake
- Trust God, build well - Minister advises potential victims of earth tremors
- Police open probe into sexual assault of British girls, teacher at gunpoint
- Accra Technical University to offer training in drone technology
- Free SHS: Kufuor poo-poo’s ‘rich must pay’ argument
- National Chief Imam honours Dr Bawumia
- Avoid redundancy exercise if possible – HR expert counsels practitioners
- Students Loan Trust releases GHS7m for applicants
- The levitating stone of Shivapur: A controversial ‘miracle’
- People going mad for Emirates’ ‘diamond covered’ plane
- Masterclass modeling event slated for Dec 22
- IMANI: On Drones, GHS boss, Dr. Nsiah-Asare is very Confused
- Kwaku Azar wants Audit Service Board scrapped