The Human Rights Court presided over by Justice Gifty Agyei-Addo has set-aside the orders of the General Legal Council suspending private legal practitioner Francis-Xavier Sosu.
The court also set-aside the one-year mentorship imposed by the GLC on Mr Sosu, renowned for his human rights advocacy.
The GLC which enforces the code of conduct for lawyers last year barred Mr Sosu from practising as a lawyer for three years for a number of offences violating the code of conduct of the profession.
The decision to suspend Mr. Sosu was reached after the Council found him guilty of professional misconduct contrary to the code regulating legal practice in the country.
Related coverage: World’s human rights report
It also cited him for advertising himself on social media in respect of his recent cases involving Patrick Reynolds who was paralyzed by a fallen billboard at Flower Pot in Accra contrary to the rules prohibiting lawyers from touting.
Mr. Sosu challenged his suspension at the Court of Appeal but was told it was the wrong forum.
He, therefore, proceeded to the Human Rights Court which found that the charges of touting and personal advertisement brought against the lawyer were not in accordance with law.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Video: Building under construction caves in; one feared trapped in rubble
- Debate about National Cathedral makes me 'extremely nervous' – Ofori-Atta
- UCC Medical School beats UG, KNUST to win inter-medical school competition
- 2019 budget: Glad tidings of great joy only on paper?
- Video: I was thrown out like piece of cargo - Adoboli breaks down in tears
- Gov't urged to re-introduce Plant Breeders’ Bill to parliament
- Rebecca Foundation welcomes home first batch of exchange students
- Haatso residents fight GOIL over siting of fuel station
- Discharged Andah recounts multiple portions of blessings
- Scientists caution over calls for labelling of GMOs
- FIDO trains Kaneshie market women in Financial & Digital Literacy
- Women scientists must go into politics —Former Presidential Advisor
- Unity Air gets operation certificate
- MTN Ghana holds Customer Outreach Day
- UEW rolls out year-long programme to celebrate 25 years