Elite school, Achitmota Senior High School, has put its last year's defeat behind it in a stunning performance at the regional level that saw it clinching a spot in the 2018 National Science and Maths Quiz.
Holed up in the greenery of its environment, Achimota, who were defeated at that level by St. John's Grammar School last year, banished any possibility of an upset in the Thursday contest that had Tema SHS and Presby Osu SHS.
Achimota School: 43
Tema Sec. Sch: 27
Presby SHS, Osu: 20
Tema Secondary School, which was eliminated at the one-eighth stage of #NSMQ2017 by Archbishop Porter Girls' SHS, could not better its last year's performance.
Telesol launches 4G internet service; set to bridge digital gap
Managing Director of Telesol, a 4G-internet service provider said the company is set to adopt new technologies to widen the current digital divide between Africa and the rest of the world beginning from Ghana.
Achimota SHS joins the main competition via a qualifying route some deemed unbefitting of their elite status. Its students jubilated over the victory in a tie they were tipped to be favourites.
The school's NSMQ reputation has been stuttering in recent years. It never got to the main competition in the 2017 edition after it was piped by St. John Grammar School.
The two-time winners could only watch on as big names in the competition fought for bragging rights in the 2017 edition which was ultimately won by Prempeh College from the Ashanti region.
A year before, the two-time winners were eliminated at the one-eighth stage of the competition by less fancied Nifa SHS from Adumkrom in the Eastern region.
Achimota school which boasts of high-profile alumni, including former President Rawlings, will be keen to erase recent painful memories when the main competition starts later in the year.
In other Greater Accra regional qualifying contests, St. John's Grammar School, Ada SHS, Chemu SHS, St. Margaret Mary SHS have all booked their place at the 2018 finals.
St. John's Grammar School: 27
Tema Presby SHS: 24
Kaneshie SHS: 23
Ada SHS: 38
Ngleshie Amanfrom SHS: 18
Holy Trinity Cathedral SHS: 12
Prampram SHS: 08
Chemu SHS : 46
O'Reilly SHS : 32
Methodist Day SHS : 27
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Ghana named among top 5 destinations in Africa for 2019
- GMA demands suspension of drone health service deliveries
- Osei Asante chairs International Cost Engineering Council
- UPSA Vice-Chancellor honoured with CIMG Fellow status
- REGSEC meets Abudu, Andani reps ahead of 2 funerals
- Culinary industry appeals to government to waive taxes
- Ghana not prepared for looming earthquake – Geological service
- Part of Kumasi City Mall ceiling collapses
- Gold-obsessed man wears 13kg of the metal wherever he goes
- A 1,000-year-old road lost to time
- MPs advocate for revival of Maths, Science and Technology scholarship
- Newspaper headlines: Tuesday, December 11, 2018
- Notorious robbery kingpins jailed 176 years
- Cocoa Nti fertilizer certified – Scientist tells court
- Give Me Hope Foundation gears up for its Needy Child Outreach programme