The retired Commissioner of Police, James Oppong-Boanuh has been granted a one-year contract extension by President Akufo-Addo.
COP Oppong-Boanuh was recently appointed Deputy Inspector-General of Police.
In a letter signed by the secretary to the president, Nana Bediatuo Asante, it said “with reference to your letter dated September 17, 2018, and a Memo dated October 3, 2018, from the Minister for the Interior on the subject matter above, I am pleased to inform you that the President has granted you a one-year contract service as Deputy Director-General of the Police effective October 8, 2018, to October 7, 2019.”
There were reports of simmering tensions among Senior Officers, Inspectorate and other ranks of the Ghana Police Service following the suspicion that COP Oppong-Boanuh was deliberately appointed Deputy Inspector-General of Police (IGP).
According to reports by the Finder, it perceived the appointment to be a ploy to force the Police Council and the President to offer him a two-year contract extension at the end of his service.
The retired Commissioner of Police, James Oppong-Boanuh was reportedly appointed to place him in a better position to take over from the current IGP, David Asante-Apeatu who is set to retire on August 14, next year.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- First Atlantic Bank donates Mother and Baby Unit to the Talensi District Hospital
- OtherslikemeGH participates in Total Startupper of the Year Competition
- Gandhi statue on University of Ghana ‘falls’
- Roman Ridge School tops Inter schools Chess tournament
- 'For the dignity of mankind' - Ghanaian who saved life on KLM flight reveals motivation
- “Earthquakes don’t kill, poor buildings do” GSA pushes for L.I.
- Newspaper headlines: Wednesday, December 12, 2018
- U.S. Embassy issues alert on Dagbon; warns citizens against travelling to town
- Gov’t must secure peace progress as Yendi gets set for Yaa Naas' funerals - Dr Aning
- Real-life Rapunzel hasn’t had a haircut in 28 years
- Ghana named among top 5 destinations in Africa for 2019
- GMA demands suspension of drone health service deliveries
- Osei Asante chairs International Cost Engineering Council
- UPSA Vice-Chancellor honoured with CIMG Fellow status
- REGSEC meets Abudu, Andani reps ahead of 2 funerals