The retired Commissioner of Police, James Oppong-Boanuh has been granted a one-year contract extension by President Akufo-Addo.
COP Oppong-Boanuh was recently appointed Deputy Inspector-General of Police.
In a letter signed by the secretary to the president, Nana Bediatuo Asante, it said “with reference to your letter dated September 17, 2018, and a Memo dated October 3, 2018, from the Minister for the Interior on the subject matter above, I am pleased to inform you that the President has granted you a one-year contract service as Deputy Director-General of the Police effective October 8, 2018, to October 7, 2019.”
There were reports of simmering tensions among Senior Officers, Inspectorate and other ranks of the Ghana Police Service following the suspicion that COP Oppong-Boanuh was deliberately appointed Deputy Inspector-General of Police (IGP).
According to reports by the Finder, it perceived the appointment to be a ploy to force the Police Council and the President to offer him a two-year contract extension at the end of his service.
The retired Commissioner of Police, James Oppong-Boanuh was reportedly appointed to place him in a better position to take over from the current IGP, David Asante-Apeatu who is set to retire on August 14, next year.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Ace Ankomah finds a cause to rant in Takoradi
- SSNIT wants contribution rate reviewed
- Let’s collaborate to run mission schools - Presbyterian University president to govt
- GNPC Foundation secures scholarship for students in rural communities
- Ex-convict sent back to prison for stealing
- Retired army officer criticises presser on Canadian girls’ rescue
- Odumase police investigate alleged lynching of unidentified man
- 94-year-old World War II veteran gets high school diploma
- Spending time in nature boosts health, study finds
- ENA calls for gov’t support for persons living with albinism
- Kidnappers of Canadian women demanded $800k ransom
- Gun-toting primary 3 student released on bail for threatening headmaster
- Gov't to increase research funding for tertiary teachers
- Unemployed jailed 15 years for robbing MoMo merchant
- MPs aid strangers to breach security - Deputy Speaker