The retired Commissioner of Police, James Oppong-Boanuh has been granted a one-year contract extension by President Akufo-Addo.
COP Oppong-Boanuh was recently appointed Deputy Inspector-General of Police.
In a letter signed by the secretary to the president, Nana Bediatuo Asante, it said “with reference to your letter dated September 17, 2018, and a Memo dated October 3, 2018, from the Minister for the Interior on the subject matter above, I am pleased to inform you that the President has granted you a one-year contract service as Deputy Director-General of the Police effective October 8, 2018, to October 7, 2019.”
There were reports of simmering tensions among Senior Officers, Inspectorate and other ranks of the Ghana Police Service following the suspicion that COP Oppong-Boanuh was deliberately appointed Deputy Inspector-General of Police (IGP).
According to reports by the Finder, it perceived the appointment to be a ploy to force the Police Council and the President to offer him a two-year contract extension at the end of his service.
The retired Commissioner of Police, James Oppong-Boanuh was reportedly appointed to place him in a better position to take over from the current IGP, David Asante-Apeatu who is set to retire on August 14, next year.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Making Accra cleanest city in Africa by 2020: Akufo-Addo making progress?
- Obuasi alive with clients exhibition, trade show
- SONA 2019: Toilets provision evidence of $1m for each constituency pledge
- Photo of the week: The Rawlings-Akufo-Addo bromance continues
- Gov't announces plans to avert perennial Bagre Dam spillage
- GES to introduce new curricula for next academic year
- SONA 2019: Akufo-Addo breaks silence over Menzgold saga
- SONA 2019: Akufo-Addo announces new curriculum for KG to P6
- SONA 2019: 62nd Independence Day celebrations to be held in Tamale
- SONA 2019: I'm mindful of next generation not next election – Akufo-Addo
- Aggrieved customers of Gold Coast Fund Management threaten demo
- Newspaper headlines: Thursday, February 21, 2019
- Accra gets mechanical street sweepers for heavy traffic roads
- GIJ poised to lead media research in Ghana
- Vegan bride-to-be bans meat eaters from her wedding