Police in the Central Region are investigating the circumstances that led to the drowning of two university students during a GRASAG conference in the region on August 16, 2018.
The body of one of the students Sarah Kwarteng of the University of Winneba is yet to be found while that of Lilian Ampofowaa Asiedu is in the University of Cape Coast hospital morgue.
At least three others are still on admission at the hospital.
Narrating how the incident occurred, the Central Regional Police PRO, DSP Irene Oppong told JOYNEWS the students had gone to Oasis beach near Cape Coast Castle to have fun and for sight-seeing but a strong tidal wave suddenly carried five of them away.
It took the intervention of residents to rescue all but the body of one student is still yet to be found.
Out of the four rescued, one of them later died at the hospital where they had been rushed to.
“Currently we have Faustina Akaime with the Kings University, Kasoa, Sharon Badonye, Methodist University, Dansoman and the Frank Boateng Garden City University Kumasi now on admission at the Cape Coast University hospital.
“The body of Sarah Kwarteng of the University of Education Winneba, Mampong campus has still not been found. Investigations are ongoing,” she said.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Vice President involved in accident, one dead
- Photos: Hungary opens consulate in Kumasi
- GNPC CEO, Board Chair in turf war over Procurement Manager hiring
- Woman goes viral for reviewing brands of soap on how good they taste
- Short Commission: Police testimonies show breakdown in command, control – Bentil
- Manhyia widows praise Opoku-Prempeh
- Luxury car owners, others to protest tax
- This company will confess to your crush if you’re too shy to do it yourself
- Karen Halm hosts students to celebrate Day of Women and Girls in Science
- Kasapreko and partners commission 400KWp solar plant
- EOCO, Police destroy unwholesome turkey at Kpone landfill site
- Police Commander was 'sidelined' in bloody by-election in his district
- Used ladies underwear, pads, hot cakes for money rituals
- NPA to collaborate with Navy to fight fuel smugglers
- Court punishes ICGC, Cross Road Ministries branches, over excessive noise-making