Police in the Central Region are investigating the circumstances that led to the drowning of two university students during a GRASAG conference in the region on August 16, 2018.
The body of one of the students Sarah Kwarteng of the University of Winneba is yet to be found while that of Lilian Ampofowaa Asiedu is in the University of Cape Coast hospital morgue.
At least three others are still on admission at the hospital.
Narrating how the incident occurred, the Central Regional Police PRO, DSP Irene Oppong told JOYNEWS the students had gone to Oasis beach near Cape Coast Castle to have fun and for sight-seeing but a strong tidal wave suddenly carried five of them away.
It took the intervention of residents to rescue all but the body of one student is still yet to be found.
Out of the four rescued, one of them later died at the hospital where they had been rushed to.
“Currently we have Faustina Akaime with the Kings University, Kasoa, Sharon Badonye, Methodist University, Dansoman and the Frank Boateng Garden City University Kumasi now on admission at the Cape Coast University hospital.
“The body of Sarah Kwarteng of the University of Education Winneba, Mampong campus has still not been found. Investigations are ongoing,” she said.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Bullet lodged in police officer's eye in armed robbery attack
- Manso-Nkwanta: 7 killed by police not armed robbers - Gov't
- The shipwreck that created a culture
- 'Human Spider' banned from climbing any UK building
- Today's front pages
- You can now travel across Morocco on Africa’s First High-speed train
- 3 arrested over Asiwa police chief attack
- Pantang Hospital JHS pupil wins Aspire to Bee spelling competition
- 'Dead' man turns up two months after burial
- Asiwa police chief shot, in critical condition
- Video: Building under construction caves in; one feared trapped in rubble
- Debate about National Cathedral makes me 'extremely nervous' – Ofori-Atta
- UCC Medical School beats UG, KNUST to win inter-medical school competition
- 2019 budget: Glad tidings of great joy only on paper?
- Video: I was thrown out like piece of cargo - Adoboli breaks down in tears