A 30-year-old Indian businessman has been abducted Thursday by gunmen in Kumasi, the Ashanti Region capital.
Eyewitnesses say Umpakan Chodri was forcibly taken and pushed inside a vehicle around Ahwodwo, a suburb of Kumasi, late afternoon.
The witnesses tell the victim’s brother, Tamil Kumar, that the kidnappers, numbering about three, first tapped on Umpakan Chodri’s vehicle that he has a flat tyre.
When Umpakan got out of his vehicle to check the tyre, the kidnappers rushed on him, pulled a gun, slapped his face before pushing him into a vehicle and speeding away.
The kidnappers did not take anything from the Umpakan’s vehicle, Tamil told Luv FM’s Erastus Asare Donkor.
Tamil suspects the kidnappers have mistaken his brother for a gold dealer.
Tamil says he has since filed a report at the Central Police Command.
There are fears among a section of the Ghanaian public that kidnapping cases are on the ascendency.
Police recently foiled a kidnap-for-ransom incident involving a diplomat.
Photo: Kidnapping statistics for 2018 (Source: Ghana Police Service)
Sixty-one years old Nabil Makram Basbous, the Consular-General and Head of Mission of Estonia to Ghana was allegedly kidnapped last Thursday, during his regular morning walk in his neighbourhood in Accra.
Basbous was abducted by three gunmen suspected to be Nigerians.
The ambassador was held hostage in an unknown location until he was rescued by the Police.
Police are currently under pressure to rescue some three girls who were kidnapped in Takoradi, the Western Region.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Media houses join hands in #DefendMediaFreedom campaign
- Immediate past IGP not free of contempt charges – Srem-Sai
- Efforts to end water scarcity must be science-driven – Expert
- That’s My Opinion: ’Good citizens are not born’
- Video: Adenta-Madina residents refuse to use highway footbridge
- Medical report declaring MP murder suspect sane for trial challenged
- Afoko contempt case: IGP, CID boss fail to show up on judgement day again
- Akufo-Addo directs IGP Apeatu to hand over to deputy
- World Population Day: Support, empower adolescents in fight against teenage pregnancies
- Danger! LPG cylinders' safety compromised
- CID investigation in Bissue’s case ‘unhelpful distraction’ - Tiger Eye
- Probe Suale’s death - US Embassy
- Water insecurity across the world on increasing – USAID
- Harvesting rainwater best method to ensure water availability for all – Entrepreneur