A 30-year-old Indian businessman has been abducted Thursday by gunmen in Kumasi, the Ashanti Region capital.
Eyewitnesses say Umpakan Chodri was forcibly taken and pushed inside a vehicle around Ahwodwo, a suburb of Kumasi, late afternoon.
The witnesses tell the victim’s brother, Tamil Kumar, that the kidnappers, numbering about three, first tapped on Umpakan Chodri’s vehicle that he has a flat tyre.
When Umpakan got out of his vehicle to check the tyre, the kidnappers rushed on him, pulled a gun, slapped his face before pushing him into a vehicle and speeding away.
The kidnappers did not take anything from the Umpakan’s vehicle, Tamil told Luv FM’s Erastus Asare Donkor.
Tamil suspects the kidnappers have mistaken his brother for a gold dealer.
Tamil says he has since filed a report at the Central Police Command.
There are fears among a section of the Ghanaian public that kidnapping cases are on the ascendency.
Police recently foiled a kidnap-for-ransom incident involving a diplomat.
Photo: Kidnapping statistics for 2018 (Source: Ghana Police Service)
Sixty-one years old Nabil Makram Basbous, the Consular-General and Head of Mission of Estonia to Ghana was allegedly kidnapped last Thursday, during his regular morning walk in his neighbourhood in Accra.
Basbous was abducted by three gunmen suspected to be Nigerians.
The ambassador was held hostage in an unknown location until he was rescued by the Police.
Police are currently under pressure to rescue some three girls who were kidnapped in Takoradi, the Western Region.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Police retrieve Stonebwoy’s pistol
- 6th National Policy Summit launched
- Photos: Methodist Girls' SHS wins 2019 World ROBOFEST competition
- That's My Opinion: If it's good in America then it's good in Ghana?
- Photos: Ayariga fears for his cars after 45-mins rain
- Man chooses jail over going home to wife
- Church terror scare: Sunday school children are easy targets - Police
- Adopt positive attitude towards Ghana's dev't - Papa Owusu-Ankomah
- Two staff at Office of Special Prosecutor allegedly steal fuel
- Thousands of Burkinabes flee to Ghana over unrest
- Newspaper headlines: Monday, May 20, 2019
- Private BECE results released
- World beard and mustache competition begins in Belgium
- UG begins Bachelor of Education programme
- Four Africa city destinations you should visit right now