With just nine weeks to go until Britain is due to leave the European Union, a company is selling worried Britons a survival kit to help them prepare for the worst.
The “Brexit Box”, retailing at 295 pounds ($380), provides food rations to last 30 days, according to its producer, businessman James Blake who says he has already sold hundreds of them.
With still no deal on how Britain will trade with the EU once it leaves, retailers and manufacturers have warned a “no-deal” Brexit could cause food and medicine shortages due to expected chaos at ports that could paralyze supply lines.
The Brexit Box includes 60 portions of freeze-dried British favourites: Chicken Tikka, Chilli Con Carne, Macaroni Cheese and Chicken Fajitas, 48 portions of dried mince and chicken, firelighter liquid and an emergency water filter.
“Right now we are in a Brexit process that nobody has control over, we have no idea what is happening. Our government has no idea what is happening, but you can control what happens to you by taking control yourself,” said Blake.
“One of those things is to be a little bit ahead, have some food in place,” he added.
Customer Lynda Mayall, 61, who ignored government assurances that there is no need to stockpile food for Brexit, said: “I thought: let’s make sure I’m covered in the event of things going awry.
In addition to her Brexit Box, Mayall, a counsellor and therapist, has stocked up on household products such as washing liquid, which she thinks may become scarce.
The Brexit Box’s long shelf life - the canned food will last up to 25 years - is appealing.
“In the event, I don’t need it for Brexit, it is not going to go to waste,” Mayall said.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Asafo Market on fire again
- The death of Christ is not a myth but a fact – Mensa Otabil
- Ghanaians hail National Chief Imam for joining Easter Service
- Decomposing body of former High Court judge retrieved from residence
- Otumfuo@20: Ya-Na Mahama's arrival blocks Manhyia traffic
- Photos: Thrilling Joy FM Easter Soup Kitchen rounds to a close with thousands in attendance
- Ghanaian scholar appointed 15th President of Millersville University
- Chinese people keep trying to throw metal coins into airplane engines for good luck
- 'Year of return': Hundreds of African-Americans resettle in Ghana
- Ghana Writers’ Conference 2019 opens in December
- In Pictures: Climax of majestic Otumfuo@20 anniversary
- Otumfuo@20: Colourful Asante culture on display as firing of musketry greet patrons
- 2019 Joy FM Easter Soup Kitchen underway
- JoyNews gets result: Maternity centre near completion at Mangotideke
- In pictures: Second inferno wreak havoc at Kumasi market