The biennial 2019 World Beard and Mustache Championship got underway Friday in Antwerp, Belgium.
Sponsored this year by Snorrenclub Antwerpen -- "Moustache Club of Antwerp" in Dutch -- the event draws beard and mustache enthusiasts from around the world for a three-day convention and contest.
Friday's events include a Ladies' competition, with categories for Realistic and Creative expression of artificial beards and moustaches.
Participants will visit the Antwerp Zoo on Friday.
The World Beard and Mustache Association, organized in 1990, is the governing body and hosted the first event, in Holten, Germany.
Since 2001, it has been an every-two-years competition, visiting Brighton, England; Anchorage, Alaska; Trondheim, Norway; Stuttgart, Germany; Leogang, Austria, and in 2017, Austin, Texas.
There are three brackets of facial hair under consideration in competition: moustache, partial beard and full beard, and each has several categories for judges to score.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Hotline Documentary: When the last tree dies...
- NSMQ2019: Adisco begin 'journey to the fifth' with superb win
- I never took clothing allowance – Former GEPA Deputy CEO responds
- NaCCA warns of imposters in new curriculum training programme
- Students consuming cannabis-infused 'shito' - NACOB reveals
- Ejisu-Jamasi: Irate youth torch house, besiege police station over 'killings'
- Driver in accident involving 4 MDCEs dies in hospital
- Whistleblowers Act will work if informants trust they're safe - Law lecturer
- NSMQ does not favour girls - Teacher
- I refused my son job with Audit Service to protect him – Auditor General
- UEW crisis: Court upholds dismissal of Dr. Bekoe
- GIS steps up efforts to combat human trafficking
- The Watchman: The documentaries of Ghana’s Anas Aremeyaw Anas
- NSMQ2019: Another girl school falls as Kumaca strolls into quarter-finals
- Suspected child thief arrested at Sabon Zongo in Kumasi