Audio By Carbonatix
Nigeria's main labour union has rejected a government-approved 50% hike in telecommunications tariffs and announced plans for a nationwide protest on Feb. 4.
The telecoms regulator last week approved the increase in mobile tariffs, the first such hike in more than a decade, bowing to pressure from operators struggling with surging costs amid high inflation and currency devaluation.
In a meeting of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) late on Wednesday, union leaders called the increase "insensitive, unjustifiable, and a direct assault" on citizens already grappling with the worst cost-of-living crisis in a generation caused by reforms instituted by President Bola Tinubu.
"The rally will serve as a warning on the dangers of imposing such an unfair increase on a struggling population, NLC President Joe Ajaero said in a statement, citing high food costs and hikes in the prices of petrol and electricity.
The union demanded the immediate suspension of the tariff adjustment and called for dialogue between the government, the regulator and union leaders.
Ajaero threatened a nationwide boycott of telecommunications services and a possible strike if authorities refused to engage in dialogue.
The NLC, representing millions of workers, has repeatedly clashed with the government over economic reforms which it says exacerbate poverty, but officials argue the measures are necessary to stabilise the economy.
Latest Stories
-
American Airlines to bring back TV screens on US flights
22 minutes -
Carney’s final chance to convince Trump as US-Canada trade deadline looms
32 minutes -
BOSTenergies meets fuel tanker drivers over their concerns at the Kumasi depot
41 minutes -
X1 Energy Drink-backed DOL Super Cup ends with Ebusua Dwarfs crowned champions
46 minutes -
Disney and ABC sue Trump’s media regulator to stop early licence renewal
49 minutes -
Luv FM High School Debate: Prempeh dethroned as CHRISSEC and KUHIS ignite quarter-final path
51 minutes -
British couple on honeymoon killed in helicopter crash on Greek island
56 minutes -
George Opare Addo to lead National Youth Forum in Accra
57 minutes -
ECG invested GH¢710,965 in infrastructure replacement across Greater Accra – PURC
1 hour -
Cyber Security Authority, EY resolve satisfactorily matters relating to licence fees
1 hour -
Beyond the ribbon: Why the sport of dog showing matters for every pet owner
2 hours -
Illegal mining drives Ghanaian children from classrooms into hazardous labour
2 hours -
NACOC committed to strengthening border security – DG
2 hours -
DTI students showcase innovative solutions at 2026 Capstone Projects Exhibition
2 hours -
‘We let the athletes down’ – NSA boss on Ghana’s Commonwealth Games campaign
2 hours