Audio By Carbonatix
Armed men have shot dead a traditional ruler, and kidnapped his wife plus one other person in south-western Nigeria, authorities say.
The attackers stormed the palace of Segun Aremu - a retired army general and monarch whose official title is the Olukoro of Koro - on Thursday night.
It is not clear who the gunmen were or whether they are demanding a ransom.
This latest killing and abduction comes days after campaigners demanded a state of emergency to deal with the issue.
Some 50 civil society groups want President Bola Tinubu to make that declaration, saying more than 1,800 people had been abducted since he took office last May.
But the true number of abductions during that time could be more than double that figure, at almost 4,000 people, says Nigerian risk consultancy SBM Intelligence.
No matter how desperate the circumstances, Nigerian law prohibits the payment of ransom money. However, many victims pay up because they do not trust authorities or their track record.
Condemning the killing of the Olukoro of Koro in Kwara state, as "reckless, shocking, and abominable", Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq has vowed that the authorities would catch those responsible.
Police say a manhunt is underway. They have also promised the local community they will set up a police outpost.
Nigeria is home to hundreds of traditional rulers, who have no constitutional role but are a respected presence in community life. They are often called upon to settle disputes between local people and lead cultural activities.

Spate of kidnappings
Earlier this week, kidnappers seized five schoolchildren and four teachers in nearby Ekiti state, demanding a ransom of 100m naira ($110,000; £87,500) for their release.

A senior government official was kidnapped on Wednesday night in the Bwari suburb of the capital, Abuja, not far from the home of six sisters who were abducted for ransom last month with their father.
Elsewhere, two girls were also recently kidnapped in the Chikakorie area of Kubwa, another suburb of Abuja. Their abductors have demanded about $25,000 for their release.
Kidnapping for ransom has worsened in Nigeria in recent years with armed gangs targeting road travellers, students as well as residents in rural and urban areas across the country.
Latest Stories
-
GoldBod cannot make losses trading gold – Afenyo-Markin
2 minutes -
Papaye, KFC and Pizzaman customers among most targeted as TrustGH uncovers nearly 1,000 scam numbers cloning Google business profiles of major food chains
12 minutes -
2026 U20 WWC: ‘We are in a tough group’ – Black Princesses’ Linda Owusu Ansah
19 minutes -
2026 U20 WWC: Ghana’s Ambassador to Czech Republic welcomes Black Princesses to Poland
46 minutes -
Oti NPP executives demand completion of stalled government projects
58 minutes -
Jinapor demands answers as Alima Mahama is asked to pay for Embassy spending outside her tenure
1 hour -
Russia doubles scholarships for Ghanaian students to 240 annually
1 hour -
Cedi’s year-to-date loss slumps to 4.09% as recent gains gather pace
1 hour -
‘Home has spoken’ – Justin Kodua Frimpong says as Ashanti delegates back his re-election bid
1 hour -
Mustapha Abdul-Hamid, seven others’ NPA case adjourned to August 27
2 hours -
Alima Mahama Refund: Jinapor challenges Ablakwa’s authority, says only Auditor-General can surcharge
2 hours -
Wontumi Conviction: 2 star witnesses placed under police protection amid death threats
2 hours -
Srem-Sai reveals surge in death threats after Wontumi conviction
2 hours -
GCB, Ecobank, 4 others are top tier banks in Ghana – PwC Banking Survey
2 hours -
Today’s front pages: Tuesday, August 18, 2026
3 hours