Audio By Carbonatix
Former Vice President and 2024 NPP flagbearer, Dr Mahamudu Bawumia, has thrown down the gauntlet to his rivals in the party’s upcoming leadership race, urging them to compete on the basis of vision, policies and proven achievements rather than divisive rhetoric.
Addressing the NPP New York 33rd Anniversary celebration on Sunday, August 24, Dr Bawumia said the future of the party and Ghana required leadership defined by integrity and competence, not tribal or religious propaganda.
“If you want to contest me, come with a vision, come with your ideas, come with your track record, come with your integrity and let us decide,” he told the gathering.
He dismissed attempts to discredit him on the basis of his northern roots or Islamic faith, describing such propaganda as false, dangerous and unworthy of the NPP’s democratic tradition.
Dr Bawumia reminded his critics that he had served the party faithfully through critical moments, including defending the NPP in court during the 2013 election petition, campaigning tirelessly for its victories in 2016 and 2020, and advancing major national reforms such as digitalisation.
He asked why, after years of loyal service, his identity was suddenly being used against him.
The former Vice President stressed that the NPP had historically thrived on inclusivity, bringing together diverse traditions and communities under its tent.
He noted that past victories had been built not on sectionalism but on a collective vision for Ghana’s progress.
Dr Bawumia urged the party to focus its internal contest on leadership qualities such as humility, incorruptibility, steadiness and competence.
Dr Bawumia concluded by warning that succumbing to tribal or religious bigotry would endanger the very survival of the party.
“The NPP has always been the party that embraces all Ghanaians, regardless of where they come from or what religion they practise. That is our heritage and our strength. If we stay true to this and focus on ideas, we will be well positioned to win the 2028 elections,” he said.
Latest Stories
-
GFA, Metro Mass Transit seal partnership to transform football transport and fan experience
6 minutes -
Tension mounts in Asante Mampong NPP over alleged voters register irregularities
6 minutes -
Economic activity strengthens in quarter one 2026, but business, consumer sentiments soften – BoG
7 minutes -
Health Ministry congratulates Mintah Akandoh on election as WHO Committee B Chairman
8 minutes -
Licensed mining firm cries foul over illegal occupation of concession at Wasa Dadieso
12 minutes -
Pray – Selective Outrage and the Struggle for Principle in Ghana’s Democracy
24 minutes -
Wa West records 37.9% reduction in poverty through interventions by MP Peter Toobu
27 minutes -
Ghana’s tax architecture more data and enforcement driven than any point in modern history – Tax report
31 minutes -
GCB Bank backs Timeline & Innovations LTD with heavy-duty fleet to boost Ghana’s “Big Push” agenda
31 minutes -
Photos: Tunisian Minister of Youth and Sports meets Rugby Africa President Herbert Mensah
41 minutes -
“We’ll charge security officers for murder if anything happens to Abronye DC” – Haruna Mohammed
42 minutes -
Afri-SET holds third regional workshop on Air quality sensors and data analysis for West Africa
56 minutes -
BoG has not abandoned eCedi project – BoG Governor assures
57 minutes -
We are not intervening in the market but building reserves – BoG Governor on cedi pressures
1 hour -
Supreme Court suit challenges Ghana’s criminal libel and false news laws
1 hour