Audio By Carbonatix
The once heavily polluted River Ankobra is gradually returning to its former glory.
The pollution was due to the heavy illegal mining activities in, alongside and close to the river body.
A series of drone shots taken by journalist Edem Srem, on May 20, showed the river, although not completely back to its original state, had recovered greatly from the orange colour it had taken because of the illegal mining activities.
Meanwhile, for Lands Minister, Abu Jinapor is encouraged by the recovery of the river bodies to continue to clamp down on illegal mining activities.
This comes after the Lands Ministry, in a move to protect forest reserves and river bodies like Ankobra and Pra, sent some military troops to illegal mining sites to stop the incessant activities destroying natural reserves.
The action dubbed ‘Operation Halt’ began in April following a directive by President Akufo-Addo to the Ghana Armed Forces.
The immediate mission of the troops is to get rid of mining activities on river bodies in the country. The troops burnt excavators and other mining equipment found on illegal sites.
Although many advised against the burning of excavators, Attorney General Godfred Dame believes the burning of excavators found close to water bodies do not go against the country’s laws adding that courting of sympathy for perpetrators leaves much to be desired.
“I find it – with all due respect – a little bit reprehensible, when people instead of ensuring that government leaves no stone unturned in its efforts to bring to a halt this menace, are rather advocating for the recognition of some non-existent rights of persons engaged in the act,” he said on Wednesday.
Meanwhile, the military has begun Phase 4 of its Operation Halt II. This phase focuses on removing all persons and logistics involved in mining from the Ankobra River, tributaries, and forest reserves.
Also, the government has begun prosecution of persons suspected to have engaged in illegal mining activities, otherwise known as “galamsey”, in the country.
Minister of Information Kojo Oppong Nkrumah, who disclosed this at government’s press briefing on illegal mining in Accra on Wednesday, said so far, there are five separate cases facing different levels of state prosecution in court.
He said these cases are not exhaustive, adding that the Attorney General’s office is readying documents for more state-level prosecution of persons who have flouted the country’s mining laws.
Latest Stories
-
Ronaldinho seeks 300th goal with comeback aged 46
4 hours -
Your voice, your future – Opare Addo opens National Youth Forum 2026
4 hours -
GRA pushes data-driven tax administration to boost revenue mobilisation
4 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Presby SHS, Bompata crushes Sacred Heart’s hopes of reaching one-eighth stage
4 hours -
Africa Golf Tourism Convention opens in South Africa to unlock opportunities
4 hours -
BOGISS alleged sexual assault: Dr Apaak demands protection for autism victim
4 hours -
GTEC trains tertiary officials on new affiliation quality assurance framework
4 hours -
Luv FM High School Debate: OKESS, OSASS silence K’Wey Gey and KASS in fierce round of 16
4 hours -
Alcaraz to play US Open after four months out
4 hours -
Even if all foreigners leave, South Africa’s problems will remain – Dr Yamson blames state failure
5 hours -
Mahama announces GH¢500m district housing programme; rollout to begin this year
5 hours -
Energy Committee yet to receive July 29 blackout report – Adomako-Mensah
5 hours -
Five in six Ghana health facilities fall short of basic sanitation standard – WHO/UNICEF
5 hours -
Mohammed Fuseini in talks over Troyes move from Union SG
6 hours -
‘Bear with the system’ – Energy Ministry says temporary power control room to be ready by September
6 hours