Audio By Carbonatix
Office of the Special Prosecutor (OSP) has launched an investigation into a suspected corruption scheme involving the illegal diversion of 50 20-foot containers of palm oil, valued at GHS25.8 million, into the local market.
In a statement issued on Tuesday, February 24, 2026, the OSP said the consignment, originally declared as transit cargo destined for Burkina Faso, was unlawfully rerouted into Ghana's domestic market without payment of applicable duties and taxes, resulting in an estimated tax loss of GHS10.5 million.
On February 18, 2026, the Ghana Revenue Authority (GRA), through its Customs Division, intercepted 18 articulated trucks carrying assorted goods — including cooking oil, spaghetti, and tomato paste — declared for transit to Niger, at the Akanu and Aflao border posts.
The interception uncovered tax evasion amounting to GH¢85.3 million, with sources revealing the cargo was moving without the mandatory Customs Human Escorts required under Ghana's transit regime.
The scale of the diversion prompted a swift response from the Finance Minister, Dr Cassiel Ato Forson, who ordered an immediate ban on the land transit of cooking oil, directing that all such consignments must enter and exit the country exclusively through Ghana's seaports.
"The Office has identified the involvement of some Customs officers, National Security operatives, and clearing agents in a corrupt scheme," the OSP stated, signalling that the scandal cuts across multiple state institutions.
The investigation was triggered by an intelligence-led operation conducted in November 2025, suggesting that authorities had been monitoring the scheme for some months before going public with the probe.
The OSP, established under the Office of the Special Prosecutor Act, 2017 (Act 959), is mandated to independently investigate and prosecute corruption-related offences, particularly those involving public officials.
The Special Prosecutor's office did not name any specific individuals in Tuesday's statement but assured the public that the process is ongoing.
"As the process continues, the Office remains committed to protecting the public purse and upholding integrity," it said.

Latest Stories
-
GPSCP II and TCDA partner to boost regulation and investment in tree crops sector
8 minutes -
Ghana, Ethiopia business ties ripe for expansion – GIPC
18 minutes -
Ghana-Russia Center signs landmark cooperation agreements at KazanForum 2026
29 minutes -
Sankofa Gold Mine, Guangzhou Hozdo partnership signals revival push as Ghana’s Western mining sector heats up
33 minutes -
From Snapchat Stories to Snapchat Headquarters: Chef Abbys is taking Ghana to the world one plate at a time
47 minutes -
Photos: Vice President commissions 100 new Metro Mass Transit buses
54 minutes -
GNFS rescues seven trapped in crash at Peki-Tsiame
59 minutes -
GNFS rescues trapped driver after cargo truck overturns at Fante New Town
1 hour -
Photos from JoyNews National Dialogue on youth and climate change
1 hour -
Woman accused of threatening President Mahama granted GH¢1 million bail
1 hour -
One dead, 4 injured in articulated truck collision at Assin Nsuta
2 hours -
To Nationalise or Transform? Joy Business Hosts Roundtable on Ghana’s Extractive Future
2 hours -
NACOC partners UPSA-RCC to train enumerators for baseline study on substance use among youth
2 hours -
Kay Codjoe Writes: The dangerous romance between inciteful extremism and “free speech”
2 hours -
From Ghana to Canada: The rising influence of Ghanaian scholars opening global doors for students
2 hours