The Black Stars of Ghana are scheduled to play with their Portuguese counterparts on Thursday, November 24, 2022 in the World Cup tournament which started in Qatar on Sunday.
In-country, the love for the national team seems to be picking up following their win over Switzerland in the recent friendly match.
What remains now is whether the players will receive the needed fan support to spur them on during the tournament.
The Director of Communication of the Ghana Football Association (GFA) seems to have some answers. According to him, Ghanaians resident in Qatar have already demonstrated their love for the Black Stars.
Speaking on JoyNews’ The Probe on Sunday, Mr. Henry Asante Twum said the over 2,000 Ghanaian residents in Qatar have indicated their intension to be present at the stadium on Thursday to cheer the players on.
“There are about 2200 Ghanaian fans who are resident here. Majority of them will be at the stadium when we take on the Portuguese on Thursday. I am told there are about 1200 fans being flown in from Accra to Doha as well. So we are expecting not less than 2500 fans here,” he revealed.
Mr. Twum assured that the players have been psyched up enough to rub shoulders with renowned players like Ronaldo among others.
He also indicated that the players are poised to ride on their victory over Switzerland to give a good account of themselves in the tournament.
A former Communication Director of the GFA, Mr. Ibrahim Saani Darra who was also a panelist on The Probe urged Ghanaians to support the Black Stars, but warned that they, “should be cautiously confident in the team.”
- West Hills Mall death: Shop manager remanded
- Ablakwa kicks court writ on the ground upon service by bailiff
- Rev Kusi Boateng injuncts Ablakwa from further publications on him
- Growing list of companies ordered by GRA to pay back-taxes
- GOIL attributes drop in diesel price to Gold for Oil barter deal
- Rev Victor Kusi Boateng sues Ablakwa for defamation
- I’ve instructed my lawyers to act on Rev Kusi Boateng’s injunction against me – Ablakwa
- Check out Akufo-Addo’s reaction as Black Sherif performs for him
- Diana Hamilton reveals why she won’t talk about National Cathedral
- Ex-policeman gets death penalty for lawyer’s murder
- Musk found not guilty of fraud over Tesla tweet
- Man shot by police was cleaning out – family
- Number of staff suing Twitter ‘goes up daily’ – lawyer
- Nursing and Midwifery institutes prioritising theory over practical skills – Oncologist
- I started smoking at the age of 11 – Musician OJ Blaq reveals
- Ebenezer Kojo Kum resigns as Chieftaincy Minister
- President Akufo-Addo accepts Chieftaincy Minister’s resignation
- Livestream: One-on-one with Seth Terkper on PM Express
- I did national service in Aliu Mahama’s office despite being NDC member – Sam George
- Flora Tissue grants renowned actor Fred Amugi’s 74th birthday wish
- I’m unable to confirm whether 1st gold for oil consignment was paid in cash – Deputy BoG Governor
- I’ll later explain my comment about people who watch movies for long hours – Yaw Dabo
- University of Ghana VC must go – Concerned students demand
- Groundworks underway for construction of modern film studios in Ghana, West Africa – Idris Elba
- GRA withdraws $672m back-tax demand from MTN Group