The Executive Director of Ghana Integrity Initiative (GII) has bemoaned the extent of corruption in the country.
In an interview on JoyNews’ Newsfile on Saturday, Linda Ofori-Kwafo said corruption has been normalised in Ghana.
She added that, as a result, efforts being made by the Office of the Special Prosecutor to fight corruption do not reflect in the Corruption Perception Index (CPI).
Her comments follow Ghana placing 72nd in the 2022 edition of the Corruption Perceptions Index (CPI) report released on Tuesday, January 31.
In the report released by Transparency International (TI), Ghana scored 43 out of a total of 100.
This means Ghana has not made any progress on the CPI score of 43 for the past three years.
According to Madam Ofori-Kwafo, the normalisation of corruption is causing people to lose trust in the country’s institutions and government.
“People are losing trust in the government that actually came on the back of fighting corruption,” she added.
She further noted that if stringent measures are not taken to curb corrupt practices, the nation will be headed for doom.
She urged that the Office of the Special Prosecutor be well resourced “with the power of recovering stolen wealth, power to investigate and sanction corruption.”
- Mohammed Kudus not eligible to play at 2023 U-23 AFCON
- Fuel prices to fall between 2% and 9% from April 1
- MP dies after hit-and-run motorcycle crash
- Social media reacts to Bagbin’s rant on Kamala Harris and Akufo-Addo’s LGBTQ+ comments
- The stories of slavery must be told – US Vice President after visiting Cape Coast Castle
- Ernest Kobeah pulls out of NDC flagbearership race
- Parliament decriminalises attempted suicide
- Take care of yourself, you would be replaced when you die – Speaker to MPs
- Ghanaian achieves outstanding results in global Finance and Accounting exam
- #NanaAt79 trends as Ghanaians celebrate Akufo-Addo on his birthday
- Leila Djansi’s mentee in UNESCO/Netflix project releases movie
- Nana Ansah Kwao IV apologises to Ghanaian youth
- Kelvyn Boy endorses Joy Prime’s Cues & Lyrics music reality show
- Livestream: PM Express discusses whether US is interfering in the passage of anti-LGBTQI bill
- No individual can take credit for NPP government projects – Kpando MCE
- Akan chiefs wield authority, not power – Ansah Kwao IV
- My lost hand became my motivation – First youngest Ghanaian Pure Math Professor
- And LPG flames its furnaces; the most potent third force?
- Education Ministry assures to fix all SHS infrastructural challenges
- I’ll be retiring from stand-up comedy in 5 years – Basketmouth
- Criminalising attempted suicide does more harm to society than good – Bernard Ahiafor
- Here is why Ghana’s plan to push ‘pedal power’ appears doomed to failure
- Ghanaian youth entering into entrepreneurial roles commendable – CARDIFF ANALYTICA CEO
- MTN Ghana cut digital sod for ICT hub construction
- Parliament’s Education Committee to investigate UG’s refusal to reinstate Commonwealth Hall residents