We all know how special first dates are – the fluttering butterflies in your stomach, hours of dressing up, trying to look pitch-perfect.
But the perfect outfits and the conversation topics you memorized won’t do you much good if you let all the signs he wants to kiss you slip right by you.
You’ll be kicking yourself the next day when you realize that he was trying to lean in for a kiss, which you mistook for a hug.
Granted, your faux pas may not have been so blatant. But if the date went well and you were left trying to figure out why you two didn’t kiss at the end of it, it could be because you didn’t know about the signs a guy wants to kiss you.
After all, they’re not really that simple to pick up on, unless you know what you’re looking for.
Whether you are in high school or have just left your child with a babysitter to be with that special someone, the problem is first dates don’t come with the certainty of a first kiss.
To make sure you’re not left deliberating “does he want to kiss me or not?” throughout the entire date, let’s take a look at what you should be looking out for.
Dating isn’t exactly the most straightforward thing in the world. While you’re worried about things like how you look and whether you shouldn’t have said what you just said, picking up on the physical signs he wants to kiss you might be impossible. Especially if he’s one of the shy guys.
All this uncertainty about whether or not the date will culminate with a kiss can add to your already brimming dating anxiety. As always, we’re here to save the day for you with a checklist of possible physical signs a guy would give when he wants to kiss you.
If you don’t see any of the signs, head back home and get back to your Netflix binging ways. And if you do, use your body language to convey that you’re open to, even looking forward to the prospect of it. First things first, pay attention to these 10 physical signs he wants to kiss you:
1. The flirting will usually give it away
You may argue that every guy usually flirts, at least on dates, so how can this be a sign? Well, yes, trying to impress you with some random pick-up lines or complimenting you, is usually how guys do it. But when a guy is building up to that first kiss, he’s going to get extra flirty. He’d give compliments on your physical attributes instead of your personality.
For example, he may say things like:
- I like that shade of lipstick on you
- I have never seen skin as smooth as yours
- Your glow is marvelous. I am sure you don’t need night lamps at home
- You look very cute, excuse me if I get a bit nervous
2. His eyes will give you signs he wants to kiss you
Taking forward our first point, while your man is either complimenting you or trying to constantly flirt with you, his eyes speak more than he does. He would constantly stare at you shifting his gaze from your eyes to lips, going down further, before meeting your eye again. And he’d be bearing a mischievous look all the while. More or less, he’ll be trying to flirt with his eyes.
Even if he’s making it a point to maintain eye contact with you, know that it definitely means he’s trying to seem confident. We’re pretty sure while he’s gazing deep into your eyes, he’s going to end up complimenting them as well.
3. He’ll lower his voice
Whether you have heard his voice a million times or if it’s the first time, you will be able to tell when his voice takes on a deep, husky overtone. If he sounds seductive, it is a clear hint of his intentions. He may even be trying to turn you on by giving you those sensual compliments with the deepest tone to his voice.
If you’re trying to figure out how to know he wants to kiss you, all you have to do is pay attention to the tone of his voice. A deeper, more bass-like voice is usually associated with masculinity, and he’s definitely going to take it two notches lower.
4. He notices the little things
Attention to detail is often not the strong suit of men, especially when it comes to looks and appearances. So, if he is noticing and commenting on things like your fragrance, nail color, and shoes, rest assured, you are his top priority this evening.
If you two have met before and he notices that you changed your hair for this date, it’s bound to make you feel special. He may even remember what your favorite color is, and wear a shirt to match. Sure, his shirt won’t make you say something like “He wants to kiss me, right?” to yourself, but when he compliments the subtleties of your outfit, he’s definitely on to something more.
5. He licks his lips
When guys want to kiss you, they already imagine that they are, and hence lick their lips. Another reason behind this could be that he is giving you a clear sign that he wants to kiss you. It may be subtle and he may not even realize it himself, but if mid-conversation you see him lick his lips while maintaining eye contact, subconsciously or consciously, he’s trying to tell you something.
6. Accidental and not-so-accidental touches
When you’re trying to figure out how to tell if a guy wants to kiss you or not, the kind of physical contact he makes will be a great indicator. He’ll build up the chemistry and sexual tension before making his move, so you can expect some touches here and there.
For instance, he may try to pick up his glass at the same time as you, brushing your hand slightly in the process. Or he could “accidentally” end up brushing his leg against yours, especially if you’re sitting next to each other. Perhaps, he may slowly wipe the corner of your lips to clean a food stain when you eat (yes, it can happen outside of the movies too). Physical signs he wants to kiss you don’t get any clearer than this.
7. If he checks on his breath before leaving
This can be hard to keep an eye out for and notice, as he may not be upfront about it or do it unabashedly in front of his date, in a public place no less. But there is a good chance he may do it when he thinks you’re not looking. So, keep track of his actions from the corner of your eye.
8. His body language will give it away
Wondering how to tell if he wants to kiss you? The best way to tell is by analyzing his body language. Whether he’s doing it consciously or subconsciously, he’s probably going to give away a few cues. If he’s leaning in, closing in the distance between you two, it’s one of the biggest signs he wants to kiss you.
He definitely won’t have his arms crossed out in front of you, he’ll have an inviting stance and a friendly posture. He’ll make plenty of eye contact and won’t seem threatening. One of the signs he wants to kiss you but is scared is when he tries to close the distance between you two but doesn’t make his move.
9. He tells you
All right, he may not say it outrightly, but there’s still a chance he may mention that he wants to kiss you. If you’re trying to figure out how to tell if he wants to kiss you, take note of the things he says. If he’s trying to give out clear signs of his intentions, he might end up saying things like
10. He’ll give clear physical signs he wants to kiss you toward the end of the date
The date is over, and as a gentleman, he offered to drive you back home. Here you are standing in front of your building.
There is an awkward pause, as you both contemplate whether to lean in for that kiss or just wrap it up with a goodbye hug. But if he gets intimate, he’s giving you clear signs that he would like to stay.
He lingers at the doorway before he leaves, giving you the authority to decide whether you want to encourage that kiss or send him packing with a lackluster “see you soon”.
If you’re on a date with a half-decent guy, we can assure you that the step-by-step guide to the evening works more often than not.
Also, when he makes the move for that first kiss, remember that you’re under no obligation to reciprocate. You have complete freedom of choice to decide if you want to kiss him back or not. So, follow your heart and don’t forget to have fun.
- Overborrowing is one of Akufo-Addo’s biggest mistakes – Prof Adei
- ‘Western Togoland’: 5 secessionists handed 5 years in jail each
- GALLERY: Best pictures from Black Stars training at Accra Sports Stadium on Monday
- Go to school, don’t wait to get everything on your prospectus – Education Minister to SHS freshers
- We are one people – Bawumia and Mahama laud peaceful enskinment of new Yagbonwura
- Your electricity bill does not have a party colour – ECG MD
- Akufo-Addo is packing EC with known NPP members – Kofi Adams
- John Mahama files nomination to contest NDC flagbearer race
- GNFS expresses reservation over reopening of Kejetia Market
- AFCON 2023Q: Goalpost collapses and injures Wollacott in training
- EIU revises global growth forecast for 2023 to 2%
- Actor Mawuli Gavor and wife expecting first child
- Growth and Sustainability Levy breaches petroleum agreement, could trigger ligation – Petroleum Chamber
- IMF bailout to depend on government’s ability to achieve 55% of debt to GDP – Fitch
- Lamisi honoured in Netherlands for promoting Ghanaian culture
- Fitch upgrades Ghana’s rating to ‘CCC’
- JessiEmma releases ‘Amazing Grace’, a love song to God
- Producer Price Inflation falls to 50.8% in February 2023
- Debt Exchange: Insurers to re-strategise to avert threats to prompt payment of claims
- Shatta Wale gives conditions for return to VGMA
- Heeding Mahama’s advice would have prevented us from going to IMF on a stretcher – Sammy Gyamfi to Akufo-Addo
- “Consider cocoa pricing in your legislation”- COCOBOD Chief tells EU
- Former Black Stars player Emmanuel Oblitey dies at 69
- Mahama to speak on transparent financing of political campaigns today
- Eno Barony raps better than many male rappers in Ghana – Medikal