Two separate documents have been sent to Parliament’s Committee on Constitutional, Legal and Parliamentary Affairs making a case against the proposed Promotion of Proper Human Sexual Rights and Ghanaian Family Values Bill, 2021.
The two groups that submitted the memorandum are, the Human Rights Coalition and a Coalition of Lawyers, Academics and other Professionals.
According to the Human Rights Coalition, the Bill is in direct conflict with a number of constitutionally-protected fundamental freedoms and human rights.
The Coalition of Lawyers, Academics and other Professionals’ memorandum was signed by Private Legal Practitioner, Akoto Ampaw, an Academic, Professor Emerita Takyiwaa Manuh, Professor Kwame KariKari, among others.
This group argues that the bill criminalizes dissenting views and expressions contrary to the words ‘freedom and justice’ “that are written boldly on our coat of arms.”
Thus the Bill ought, with respect, to be firmly rejected by the Parliamentary Select Committee on Constitutional, Legal and Parliamentary Affairs, and by Parliament as a whole.
Meanwhile, the Christian Council of Ghana (CCG) and the Ghana Pentecostal and Charismatic Council (GPCC) have charged the legislative arm of government to accelerate processes to pass the Proper Human Sexual and Ghanaian Family Bill, 2021 spearheaded by Ningo-Prampram legislator, Sam Nartey George and others.
Tonight on PM Express, host, Evans Mensah interacted with Mr Akoto Ampaw to explain into details, the memorandum opposing the anti-LGBTQ+ bill currently before the House.
- We were never consulted on NDC Parliamentary leadership reshuffle – Muntaka Mubarak
- Minority Leadership reshuffle an affront to dignity of NDC Caucus – Dr. Dominic Ayine
- Financial crisis has affected my GH¢106k investment – Agyinasare
- Tullow Oil challenges GRA over $300m tax imposition
- ‘I’ve had frank conversations with Haruna Iddrisu’ – Ato Forson reveals
- NDC national executives to meet Minority Caucus over reshuffle
- Stonebwoy thanks Asamoah Gyan for paying for his surgery 7 years ago
- Debt Exchange Programme: Government reaches agreement with Ghana Insurers Association
- Consultations are not mandatory – Dr. Spio-Garbrah on change in Minority leadership
- Haruna Iddrisu, Muntaka Mubarak still leaders of Minority Caucus – Cletus Avoka
- Debt Exchange Programme: Jubilee House, EMT against inclusion of individual bondholders – Bright Simons
- National Labour Commission directs CETAG to call off strike
- Pope Francis appoints Rev Fr Samuel Nkuah-Boateng as Bishop of Wiawso Diocese
- Court threatens to strike out case against Agradaa
- Asiedu Nketia leads party delegation to attend Mahama-led lecture in UK
- George Ferguson Laing: Why the looming water crisis may be a glimmer of hope for climate awareness
- Change in Minority Leadership: Rescind decision – Dr Amoako Baah tells NDC national executive
- The Story of Prophet Elisha: Case Study of Apprenticeship for Ghana – Part Two
- Elon Musk denies Twitter use hurts Tesla as sales soar
- Haruna Iddrisu disclaims posts on Facebook, Twitter handles purported to be his
- Africa Business Dialogues: Bawumia proposes focus on 3 broad areas for AfCFTA success
- Playback: PM Express Business edition discuss Debt Exchange Programme with Alhassan Andani
- Change in Minority Leadership: We cannot refuse to recognise the lawful decision – Kofi Adams
- B.A. Mensah: Ghana moves from Petrodollar to Petrogold
- MEASURES project puts Accra under spotlight for sustainable energy strategy development