Audio By Carbonatix
Police personnel on duty at the Tadzewu-Metsrikasa Barrier in the Ketu North Municipality of the Volta Region have intercepted a massive consignment of ammunition on a passenger bus traveling from Accra to Benin.
The arrest occurred in the early hours of Friday, April 18, 202, at approximately 0330 hours, during a routine inspection of a Hyundai passenger bus, with registration number GR 8246-Q.
A search of the vehicle revealed 60 cartons of AAA cartridges, amounting to 15,000 pieces of the AAA cartridge, and 72 cartons of BB cartridges, totaling 18,000 pieces of the BB cartridge ammunition. The boxes had been concealed under luggage and wrapped in sacks to avoid detection.
This was contained in an official statement issued by the Volta Regional Police Public Affairs Unit, signed by DSP Felix Danku, and dated April 19, 2025.
According to the release, the driver of the vehicle, Abasou Fousseni, aged 45, and his co-driver, Salisu Jalilu, aged 38, were immediately arrested for questioning.
Both men, however, denied knowledge of the concealed ammunition.
“Preliminary investigations suggest that the co-driver, Salisu Jalilu, was responsible for loading the illicit items into the vehicle,” the statement said.
In light of this development, the driver was granted bail to allow him to continue the journey and ensure the safe arrival of the passengers at their destination.
The co-driver remains in custody to assist with ongoing investigations.
He is expected to be arraigned before court on Tuesday, April 22, 2025.
The statement reiterated the Ghana Police Service’s firm commitment to combating transnational crimes, especially those that threaten peace and security within the ECOWAS sub-region.
Investigations are ongoing to identify the source and intended recipients of the ammunition.
Latest Stories
-
Official: Sevilla unveil Ghanaian winger Emmanuel Abrokwa on long-term deal
29 minutes -
Eric Tinkler motivated by challenge of improving Kotoko
59 minutes -
Today’s front pages: Wednesday, August 19, 2026
1 hour -
‘You can’t improve players on pitches like this’ – Kotoko coach Tinkler
1 hour -
Petroleum Commission says regulatory reviews have saved Ghana US$2.2bn
1 hour -
Prosecution of former NPP appointees not political persecution – Mustapha Gbande
1 hour -
Revised Ghana Card fees approved by Parliament, not unilaterally introduced – NIA
1 hour -
NIA says Labone Prestige Centre is optional, district offices remain operational
1 hour -
Three-month-old baby girl found abandoned in Ada bush
1 hour -
Boakye Agyarko vows to rebuild NPP into a winning force ahead of 2028
1 hour -
One seriously injured as four vehicles crash on Ofankor–Pokuase stretch days after fatal accident
2 hours -
GES denies GH¢1,500 Free SHS payment directive, urges parents to ignore viral claim
3 hours -
The losses were necessary – Manteaw defends GoldBod’s costly push to win Ghana’s gold market
3 hours -
We are concerned about inflation outlook when it comes to MPC decisions – BoG Governor
4 hours -
GoldBod had to ‘pay more’ to beat Indians, Chinese in Ghana’s gold market – Manteaw
4 hours