Audio By Carbonatix
The Ghana Police Service has begun scanning of beaches at La in Accra following an explosion in the area last week.
According to the Service, the move is critical in determining whether there are similar devices within that perimeter.
Four children sustained various degrees of injuries during the blast on August 5. The explosive detonated while the unsuspecting children were playing with it, unaware of the danger it posed.
The community is alarmed by the development and wants more to be done to secure the area and forestall a possible recurrence.
Speaking on News Desk Tuesday, Public Relations Officer for the Accra Region Police Command, DSP Effia Tenge explained that “the authorities and experts are doing what is needed to find out whether these objects could be found in any part of the community… but I don’t know whether they are going to extend it to the wider community.”

“Our shores have been very safe so if we have seen something like this, it means that it calls for a broader interrogation to find out whether indeed something is happening that we may be unaware of,” she said August 11.
As part of measure to further ensure public safety, she also advised that guardians ensure children don’t touch unfamiliar objects.
A statement from the Police Command also indicated that "police should be notified of strange objects in your vicinity."
Investigations are underway to determine the source of the device.
However, Security Analyst Col. Festus Aboagye (Rtd.) wants the exercise to be extended to other beaches along the capital’s coastline.
“All our beaches in Accra need to be seriously searched,” he said.
The former military officer told JoyNews that the probability of the recent incident being a remnant of a terrorist plot cannot be underestimated. He believes the existence of terror activities across parts of the sub-region call for a critical assessment of the development.
“There are conflict areas around our borders. Burkina Faso is one, Niger is another and even far-away Nigeria that is the Boko Haram enclave.
So it’s only the authorities after investigations who may come close to establishing where these grenades emanated from,” the Col Aboagye reiterated.
Meanwhile, the father of all four children injured in the blast, Oko Adams is grateful to God that they survived.
Latest Stories
-
Nvidia’s latest record earnings fail to impress investors
5 hours -
Dozens of vehicles burnt as Mali jihadists enforce blockade ahead of Eid holiday
5 hours -
Walmart warns US shoppers are cutting spending as higher petrol prices bite
5 hours -
Dr Abena Nyarkoa to join panel discussion at Africa Together Conference in Cambridge
5 hours -
Toilets and changing rooms must be used on basis of biological sex, guidance confirms
5 hours -
Emily in Paris to end after sixth season, says Netflix
5 hours -
Flexible exchange rate regime critical in absorbing external shocks – First Deputy Governor
5 hours -
Angry crowd sets Ebola hospital tents on fire in DR Congo
6 hours -
Policymakers urged to prioritise grassroots climate solutions and community realities
6 hours -
Russia and China condemn US over indictment of former Cuban leader
6 hours -
Bank of Ghana reverts to previous Cash Reserve Ratio policy after scrapping it last year
6 hours -
Ghana-eligible defender Beres Owusu signs permanent deal with Grazer AK
6 hours -
A Super El Niño is coming: What does it mean for Ghana?
7 hours -
Driving Schools Association pushes for mandatory driver training to reduce road crashes
7 hours -
Climate change exists with or without humans — Youth advocate
7 hours