Audio By Carbonatix
The Ghana Police Service has transferred investigations into the alleged assault of renowned visual artist Ibrahim Mahama to the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) Headquarters.
The decision follows a meeting on Thursday, 26 March 2026, between the Inspector-General of Police (IGP), members of the Police Management Board, and Mr Mahama.
The incident reportedly occurred on March 21, 2026, as Mr Mahama was returning from Eid-ul-Fitr prayers at a mosque in Tamale.
Mr Mahama claims officers from the IGP’s Special Operations Team, known as the Black Maria, entered his bus, forced him to unlock his phone, and deleted footage he had taken before assaulting him. He reportedly sustained injuries including a broken tooth, cut lips, rib pain, and recurring headaches, for which he sought treatment at a private facility in Tamale.
At a press briefing on 23 March, Mr Mahama said the incident had disrupted his schedule, forcing the postponement of lectures at the Royal College of Art, the University of Cambridge, and the University of Oxford, as well as planned trips to Helsinki, Amsterdam, and South Africa. He also indicated plans to take legal action against the officers involved.
Assistant Commissioner of Police Grace Ansah-Akrofi, Director of Public Affairs for the Ghana Police Service, confirmed that the IGP met Mr Mahama and listened to his account.
She said the IGP had directed the CID Headquarters to take over the criminal investigation from the Regional Command, while also instructing the Police Professional Standards Bureau to expedite a separate inquiry into the conduct of the officers involved.
READ ALSO: Police launch investigation into alleged assault on artist Ibrahim Mahama
“Any persons found culpable will be taken through the due process of the law,” ACP Ansah-Akrofi said.
She added that the Regional Command had earlier taken statements from Mr Mahama and his team, visited the scene, and met him at his residence before the meeting. The police have assured the public and Mr Mahama of a thorough investigation and urged calm.
Latest Stories
-
NSMQ 2026: Holy Child School storms back from two-year NSMQ absence to book One-Eighth ticket
1 hour -
GNFS dismisses reports of unpaid 2025 rent allowance
2 hours -
Gordon Asare-Bediako steps down from NPP Communications Director race, backs Dennis Aboagye
2 hours -
GES dismisses requirement for newly promoted teachers to submit documents for salary adjustments
2 hours -
Meko Bono 2026: Vice President pledges agricultural revival as Atebubu hosts grand homecoming
4 hours -
Russian skydiver Sergey Boytcov sets world record with 11,551-metre stratosphere jump
4 hours -
Ablakwa-led committee submits five reports to Mahama ahead of 2027 AU chairmanship
4 hours -
Africa not seeking Western cash in reparations campaign – Ablakwa
4 hours -
Production decline, reserve depletion threaten Ghana’s upstream sector – Jinapor
4 hours -
Surveyors caution against treating compensation disputes as professional misconduct
4 hours -
Mahama calls for AU dialogue on migration after South Africa xenophobic tensions
4 hours -
I haven’t experienced any envy in the gospel music industry — Ohemaa Mercy
6 hours -
Prayer does not solve everything — Ohemaa Mercy
6 hours -
New PURC office symbolises stronger consumer protection – Dr Jinapor
6 hours -
Rev. Wengam re-elected Assemblies of God, Ghana General Superintendent
6 hours