Professor Joshua Alabi, a Russia-trained Ghanaian academic and politician born on March 1, 1958, has suddenly become one of the lead contenders for the National Democratic Congress (NDC) flagbearership race.
Already, some big guns in the party including former Diplomat, James Victor Gbeho, as well as former Second Deputy Speaker of Parliament, Ken Dzirasah, are rallying party faithful to support the candidature of Prof. Joshua Alabi to become the flagbearer of the party going into the 2020 elections.
He served as the first Vice-Chancellor of the University of Professional Studies, Accra (UPSA) from 2012 to 2016, after previously serving as the Rector of the same institution from 2009 to 2012 and Pro-Rector from 2005 to 2008.
In Ghanaian politics, Alabi was the National Democratic Congress (NDC) Member of Parliament for the Krowor Constituency in the Greater Accra from 1997 to 2001 and Minister of State for the Greater Accra and the Northern Regions respectively from 1997 to 2001.
Alabi is a member of the National Democratic Congress and led the party’s reorganization in the Greater Accra region in 2001 after the party lost the 2000 elections to the opposition. After the reorganization, he became the first former Minister of the party to contest and won as the Regional Chairman of the NDC in the Greater Accra Region from 2001 to 2005.
As the NDC officially opened the doors for those interested in leading the party to pick up nomination forms, we bring you a profile of the Prof. Joshua Alabi:
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
- Primary and Middle School education at St. John's Preparatory School, Achimota, Accra
- O'Level and A'Level at Tamale Secondary School.
- Professional Training in
Accountancy and Marketing at then institute of Professional Studies.
- Master of Science in Industrial Economics from Russian Economics University
- Master of Science in International Marketing from Strathclyde University, Glasgow- Scotland, United Kingdom.
- Member, Chartered Institute of Marketing(CIM), Ghana.
- Fellow, Institute of Taxation, Ghana.
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Bankers, Ghana.
BOARDS & OTHER PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
- Chairman, Board of Trustees SSNIT,
- Chairman, Board of Directors, HFC Bank.
- Chairman, Governing Council, Accra Polytechnic, 2009-2014
- Chairman, Ghana Book Development Council, 2009-2017.
- Chairman, Social Science Committe, UNESCO Commission for Ghana, 2009-2014.
- Member, Group of Experts for UNESCO Executive Board, Paris, 2011.
- Chairperson, West Africa Region, International Association of University Presidents 2011-2016
- Founder and Board Chairman, Consumer Advocay Center.
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
- Mushod Abiola Prize for Excellence in Marketing, 1992.
- Best Conference Paper Award, Clute Institute Academic Research Conference, Las Vegas, 2017.
- Most Influential Public Sector Leader by IMANI Ghana, 2012
- Marketing Man of the year, CIMG, 2012.
- Africa Vice- Chancellor of the year 2013.
- Award For Transformational Leadership, Chartered Institute of Bankers, 2015.
- Office of the Order of the Volta, Government of Ghana, 2016.
PERSONAL & FAMILY LIFE
Prof. Joshua Alabi is happily married to Prof. Goski Alabi. The Union has been blessed with two beautiful children.
- General Secretary, Ghana League Clubs Association, 1994-1997
- Member, GFA management committee and Coordinator Black Stars management team , 1994-1997
[09:26, 8/8/2018] Benjamin Essuman: POLITICAL LIFE
- Member of Parliament for Krowor Constituency 1997-2001.
- Minister of State, Greater Accra Region &
Minister of State, Northern Region, between 1997- 2001.
- NDC Greater Accra Regional Chairman , 2001-2005.
- Campaign Coordinator, Prof JEA Mills campaign 2004.
CAREER IN ACADEMIA
- Taught at Northern Business School from 1980-1981 before travelling abroad to further his education.
- Served as Lecturer at UPSA from 1987 to 2005
- Rose to become Head of Marketing Department at UPSA in 1989
- Rose to become Dean of the Faculty of Management at UPSA in 2003
- Promoted to Senior Lecturer in 2001 and Subsequently Promoted to Associate Professor by the University Governing Council in 2008.
- Promoted to Pro - Rector from 2005-2008 and became Rector from 2009-2012.
- Became first Vice- Chancellor of UPSA in 2012 and retired in 2016.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Ghana wants to emulate 'East Asian Miracle' - Akufo-Addo
- CSOs petition Akufo-Addo over stagnated fight against corruption
- Ricketts Hagan withdraws from “pre-determined” NDC primaries
- Game of Thrones: Wife, mistress pushed to succeed late MP
- Parliament approves medical drone agreement
- Former NDC MMDCEs back Mahama for 2020
- Bawumia promises passage of RTI bill in 2019
- Sylvester Mensah launches fundraising shortcode
- Kufuor fights "sensationalised" reportage on ex-gratia comment
- Mahama, Kufuor and Rawlings all eligible to contest for President – Dr Oduro Osae
- I am in for grassroots because I am one of them- Nurideen Iddrisu
- NDC race: Mahama's sponsors 'barred' from primaries committee
- HIPC helped restore donor confidence in “flat” economy – Kufuor
- NDC going broke weeks after election loss strange - Sly Mensah
- Wontumi to challenge Mahama's '3rd term' bid at Supreme Court