President Akufo-Addo has joined thousands across the world to condemn US President Donald Trump after he reportedly used crude language to describe African nations, Haiti and El Salvador.
In a Twitter message Saturday, Nana Akufo-Addo said: “The language of @RealDonaldTrump that African nations, Haiti and El Salvador are 'shithole countries' is extremely unfortunate.”
Akufo-Addo adds, “We will not accept such insults, even from the leader of a friendly country, no matter how powerful.”
The US president has come under attack after he was reported to have called some nations “shitholes” in a White House remark.
US diplomats around the world were summoned for formal reproach and to explain Mr Trump's comment.
Botswana was the first country to condemn the attack.
African Union is also demanding an apology from the US leader known for his disparaging remarks.
The United Nations (UN) in a strongly-worded statement said the US president’s remark was purely racist, while the Vatican has described it as offensive.
In a response labelled by international media as damage control, Mr Trump has denied using derogatory words but admitted his language was "tough."
But Democratic Senator Dick Durbin who was reportedly at the meeting said the US president used "shitholes" in the context of African countries.
"Shithole was the exact word used once not twice but repeatedly," Mr Durbin was quoted to have said.
Reacting to the comment in a tweet posted at 6:56 p.m. former President John Mahama also expressed shock over the US president’s action.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Undercover investigator killing: Gov't charges police to speed up investigations
- NDC agrees to revise presidential primaries guidelines
- Video: NDC, NPP lock horns over Menzgold
- NDC diverted 100 vehicles meant for Education Ministry for party activities
- Gov’t should have objected to NAM1 sponsoring Ghana Premier League - NDC
- Gov't endorsement of NAM1 enhanced his credibility - NDC
- Mahama, wife don’t have investments with Menzgold - Joyce Bawah
- NDC postpones flagbearer election
- Help us end chieftaincy disputes – Ga Traditional Council pleads with Akufo-Addo
- NDC MPs supporting Mahama out of gratitude - Bagbin
- NAM 1 arrest: More questions than answers
- Ablakwa wants bi-partisan parliamentary inquiry into Menzgold saga
- Out of court settlement agreed in injunction on NDC presidential primaries
- Alabi celebrates Victor Gbeho, Dzirasah on his campaign trail
- Chiefs begin process to formulate dev't agenda for Bono East Region