The Supreme Court has granted Bolga East MP, Dominic Ayine’s request to amend his case challenging the validity of Martin Amidu’s appointment as Special Prosecutor.
Dr Ayine’s lawyer, Tony Lithur argued that Mr Amidu has since the filing of the suit taken office, therefore, making it necessary for the case to be amended to reflect the situation.
The sole judge, Justice Gabriel Pwamang granted the request after the state’s representative, Deputy Attorney General Godfred Dame agreed with Mr Lithur’s argument saying that it conforms to law.
Justice Pwamang granted Dr Ayine's Lawyer seven days to amend the writ with the Deputy A-G also given 14 days to respond.
The court had early on thrown out an application from Ayine’s team to improve their case - by filing a supplementary statement of case - describing it as lacking merit.
Dominic Ayine had wanted to file additional arguments to support his writ but opposing counsel, Godfred Dame argued the request was technically deficient.
“Dr Ayine may file an affidavit or additional evidence to his case but cannot amend the substantive writ he filed in February. He is also free to withdraw the case and file a fresh writ containing his improved arguments,” Mr Dame said at the time.
Former Deputy Attorney General, Dominic Ayine filed a suit in court to challenge Martin Amidu’s appointment as Special Prosecutor on grounds that, at 66 Mr Amidu has passed the statutory age limit for public officials.
Mr Amidu has said he is unperturbed by the suit and is concentrating on his work.
"I am doing my work", he told journalists in April after a court session.
Amidu’s work is to hold public officials accountable and prosecute corruption in a way that does not suggest witch hunting to political opponents of the government.
President Akufo-Addo promised to create the all-important office during his elections campaign.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Increase Parliamentary seats from 275 to 300 - Haruna Iddrisu
- GH¢240m approved for Sanitation Ministry
- Ghana wants to emulate 'East Asian Miracle' - Akufo-Addo
- CSOs petition Akufo-Addo over stagnated fight against corruption
- Ricketts Hagan withdraws from “pre-determined” NDC primaries
- Game of Thrones: Wife, mistress pushed to succeed late MP
- Parliament approves medical drone agreement
- Former NDC MMDCEs back Mahama for 2020
- Bawumia promises passage of RTI bill in 2019
- Sylvester Mensah launches fundraising shortcode
- Kufuor fights "sensationalised" reportage on ex-gratia comment
- Mahama, Kufuor and Rawlings all eligible to contest for President – Dr Oduro Osae
- I am in for grassroots because I am one of them- Nurideen Iddrisu
- NDC race: Mahama's sponsors 'barred' from primaries committee
- HIPC helped restore donor confidence in “flat” economy – Kufuor