President Nana Akufo-Addo has congratulated Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari on his re-election on the ticket of the All Progressives Congress (APC), for a second successive term.
According to the Ghanaian leader, the renewal of the confidence of the Nigerian people have in the governance programme of President Buhari “…which is hinged on job creation, diversification of the economy, particularly the strong revival of the country’s agriculture and the fight against corruption.”
The 76-year-old defeated his main rival, former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar of the People's Democratic Party (PDP), with a margin of nearly four million votes in the elections on Saturday, February 23.
“I congratulate also the ruling party, All Progressives Congress (APC), for maintaining control, in an emphatic manner, over the Senate and the House of Representatives,” President Akufo-Addo said in a release issued Wednesday, February 27.
Nana Akufo-Addo hopes that President Buhari will continue on the path of delivering unity, security, progress and prosperity to the Nigerian people. “It is also my overriding hope that, during his second term, the already strong relations between Ghana and Nigeria will be deepened even further, on a shared agenda of stability, security, development and prosperity,” the Ghanaian leader added.
He also commended the PDP presidential candidate, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar “for a vigorous, well-fought campaign, and I applaud his decision to ventilate his dissatisfaction with the results of the election through a constitutional process.”
It is testimony to his credentials as a well-established statesman,” the President noted.
The statement concluded: “Strengthening the frontiers of Nigerian democracy, and consolidating the peace and stability of Nigeria, Africa’s giant, are important for the progress of our region and continent.”
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Leaked NDC tape: Ampofo charges reduce, Gyamfi and Boahene added
- Violence not path for resolving conflict, Gov't to feuding Chereponi factions
- I’ll set up gold museum in Western Region – Tourism Minister-designate
- President assents to Civil Aviation Amendment Bill
- Militia confab: President’s response unfortunate - Sammy Gyamfi
- The Bible knows no biased prophet like Owusu Bempah – John Mahama
- New law on party militias sad, longer route to peace - NDC
- I disagree with JoyNews militia documentary promo - Sammi Awuku
- Law on party militia needless – Bentil dismisses Akufo-Addo’s plan
- Akufo-Addo directs AG to draft bill on party militia
- Short Commission presents report to Akufo-Addo
- NDC will be embarrassed if others join militia talks - NPP organiser
- ‘Two heads better than one,’ Mahama wants stakeholder forum to save economy
- NDC kicks against piloting of ROPAA in 2020 election
- Akufo-Addo nominates chief executives for new assemblies