President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo Addo, has nominated chief executives for the six new Municipal and District Assemblies, inaugurated on Tuesday, February 19.
This in line with Article 241 (1) of the 1992 Constitution and Section 20 (1) of the Local Government Act, Act 936.
A statement signed by the Minister of Local Government and Rural Development, Hajia Alima Mahama, on Wednesday, named them as: Mr Asare Danso for the Birim South District in the Eastern Region; Mr Alhassan Abdallah Iddi - North East Gonja District of the Savanna Region; and Mr Godwin Edudzi Effah - Keta Municipal of the Volta Region.
The rest are: Alhaji Mohammed Quaye for the Ayawaso Central Municipal; Nii Adjei Tawiah - Korley - Klottey Municipal; and Madam Mariama Amui – Ablekuma Central Municipal; all in the Greater Accra Region.
The statement urged the respective Regional Ministers to liaise with their various Regional Electoral Commission to initiate the confirmation process for the nominees.
The nominees are required to win at least two-thirds of the valid votes cast by the assembly members.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Leaked NDC tape: Ampofo charges reduce, Gyamfi and Boahene added
- Violence not path for resolving conflict, Gov't to feuding Chereponi factions
- I’ll set up gold museum in Western Region – Tourism Minister-designate
- President assents to Civil Aviation Amendment Bill
- Militia confab: President’s response unfortunate - Sammy Gyamfi
- The Bible knows no biased prophet like Owusu Bempah – John Mahama
- New law on party militias sad, longer route to peace - NDC
- I disagree with JoyNews militia documentary promo - Sammi Awuku
- Law on party militia needless – Bentil dismisses Akufo-Addo’s plan
- Akufo-Addo directs AG to draft bill on party militia
- Short Commission presents report to Akufo-Addo
- NDC will be embarrassed if others join militia talks - NPP organiser
- ‘Two heads better than one,’ Mahama wants stakeholder forum to save economy
- NDC kicks against piloting of ROPAA in 2020 election
- Akufo-Addo nominates chief executives for new assemblies