The Minister for Local Government and Rural Development, Alima Mahama, will on Wednesday, May 29, announce the road map on election of Metropolitan, Municipal and District Chief Executives (MMDCEs) when she takes her turn at the Meet the Press Series.
The election of MMDCEs was a major campaign promise by the NPP in the 2016 general elections.
Hajia Alima Mahama will use the media encounter to provide further details on the status of the agenda.
She will also give an update on the roadmap to the rural development programme and the alternative livelihood programme for small scale miners after the ban on illegal mining.
Governance expert, Dr. Eric Oduro-Osae, believes the election of MMDCEs has become crucial for the effective administration of local authorities.
Dr. Eric Oduro-Osae
"The local people are yearning for the election of their leaders. There should not be interference. If the NPP is promising us that within 24 months they are going to elect Chief Executives, it is good,” the Dean of Graduate Studies at the Institute of Local Government Studies (ILGS).
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Commonwealth honours High Commissioner for Dev't achievements across Africa
- Govt can’t sack CEOs – Supreme Court declares
- Minority Leader urges EC to publish registered voters daily
- Despite Group affiliate apologises to Ibrahim Mahama
- EPA works to promote inter-institutional coordination
- Volta NDC women, MTN celebrate Rawling's 72nd birthday
- Female representation in Parliament still low – Majority Leader laments
- Video: Africa's problem is leadership - John Maxwell speaks on Joy FM
- Suit challenging legality of Ayawaso West Wuogon by-election dismissed
- District Assembly rejects 2018 League Table after scoring zero
- President peddled false energy debt figures in Canada - Minority
- Female MPs must go unchallenged in NDC primaries - Minority Leader
- Amidu takes responsibility for defects in Ayariga's charge sheet
- Ofosu-Ampofo is being investigated for kidnapping of Indian - NDC
- No sacking over poor performance on District League Table – Minister assures