Audio By Carbonatix
Rwanda said the U.N. refugee agency had lied when the organisation told a British court this week that asylum seekers sent to the East African country could be moved on again to states where they risked torture or death.
Lawyers representing the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) told the court on Monday that Rwanda's asylum system was inadequate, as part of a challenge to the British government's policy to deport asylum seekers there.
The lawyers said removing asylum seekers to Rwanda put them at risk of being transferred again in a banned process known as refoulement - building on past evidence which formed an important part of the UK Supreme Court's reasoning when it ruled last year that the British plan was unlawful.
"UNHCR is lying," Rwanda's government spokesperson said in a statement late on Tuesday.
"The organisation seems intent on presenting fabricated allegations to U.K. courts about Rwanda's treatment of asylum seekers, while still partnering with us to bring African migrants from Libya to safety in Rwanda," the spokesperson added.
A UNHCR spokesperson in Rwanda said she had no immediate comment.
Rwanda's government said cases raised by the UNHCR lawyers in court had involved people arriving in Rwanda who had legal status in other countries but did not meet entry requirements, or of people leaving Rwanda voluntarily.
Britain said last week that the first flight to Rwanda would take off on July 24, though that was dependent on Prime Minister Rishi Sunak Conservatives winning national elections on July 4.
That looks unlikely as Britain's opposition Labour Party, leading by about 20 points in opinion polls, has pledged to scrap the plan if elected.
Latest Stories
-
MTN Ghana rolls out SME Business Clinic in Koforidua to drive digital transformation
2 minutes -
Stakeholders demand demolition of encroaching structures around Wa Airport over rising wildlife threats
7 minutes -
“For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord” – Nduom celebrates court victory
7 minutes -
TDC, GIADEC and ARISE IIP join forces to advance Tema Industrial Park project
9 minutes -
MTN Ghana calls for reforms to tackle risks facing local businesses
13 minutes -
Minority accuses Foreign Affairs Minister of sidestepping Parliament over foreign agreements
20 minutes -
Trade Minister leads high-level mission to China to woo investors
23 minutes -
Quo Warranto: High Court adjourns OSP’s Stay of Execution application
24 minutes -
Nene James Tetteh Asigbey III
27 minutes -
Sportswear brand On introduces OAC Sprint, its first professional sprint team
28 minutes -
Salaga: Family counts losses after domestic fire outbreak
30 minutes -
Ghana declares ‘Open for Business’ at inaugural Russia-Ghana dialogue in Kazan
34 minutes -
CBG launches agency banking drive ‘Sika Agent’, targets 8,000 agents by 2028
1 hour -
Lands Ministry investigates alleged involvement of National Security operatives in galamsey
1 hour -
BoG confident cedi stability will be sustained
1 hour