The Securities and Exchange Commission on Friday charged former Wells Fargo CEO John Stumpf and a top lieutenant with misleading investors about the success of the division at the heart of the bank’s fake-account scandal.
The charges against Stumpf and Carrie Tolstedt, the former head of Wells Fargo’s community bank, are the latest legal rulings in the four years since the bank admitted to creating millions of fake bank and credit card accounts.
Tolstedt embraced a metric, known as “cross-sell,” even though this measure was “inflated by accounts and services that were unused, unneeded or unauthorized,” according to the SEC.
In other words, the former Wells Fargo executive bragged to investors about how many different accounts customers had — despite the fact that millions of these accounts were fabricated by employees trying to meet wildly unrealistic sales goals set by management.
Moreover, the SEC said Tolstedt signed off on the accuracy of Wells Fargo’s public disclosures “when she knew or was reckless in not knowing” that statements about the bank’s cross-sell metric were “materially false and misleading.
“Tolstedt left Wells Fargo (WFC) at the end of 2016.The SEC is seeking civil penalties against Tolstedt and wants to ban her from becoming an executive officer or sitting on a corporate board.
Stumpf, the former CEO, was accused by the SEC on Friday of signing and certifying statements in 2015 and 2016 about Wells Fargo’s cross-sell strategy and metric that he “should have known were misleading.
“Even “after being put on notice that Wells Fargo was misleading the public about the cross-sell metric,” Stumpf “failed to assure the accuracy of his certifications,” according to the SEC.
The SEC said Stumpf, “without admitting or denying the SEC’s findings,” agreed to pay a civil penalty of $2.5 million and not to commit future violations.
The agency said it plans to use the money to reimburse harmed investors.
Stumpf stepped down as Wells Fargo’s CEO in late 2016 during the height of the bank’s scandals.
Last year, Wells Fargo hired an outsider, former Visa (V) CEO Charlie Scharf, to try to get the bank back on track after years of stumbles.
Wells Fargo declined to comment on the SEC charges. A spokesman pointed to a January message from Scharf calling the bank’s previous sales tactics “inexcusable” and calling for an effort to make sure “such failings never again occur at Wells Fargo.”
The spokesman said the bank does not have contact information for the former executives.
Wells Fargo has sought to penalize both Tolstedt and Stumpf by taking back a chunk of the two executives’ generous compensation packages.
In 2017, the Wells Fargo board took back an additional $28 million from Stumpf because an independent report found that he was “too slow to investigate or critically challenge” the bank’s sales tactics.
At the time, Wells Fargo also clawed back another $47 million from Tolstedt, arguing she “resisted and impeded scrutiny or oversight” and even “minimized the scale and nature of the problems.”
The SEC charges against Tolstedt and Stumpf come after the agency charged the bank in February with misleading investors about the fake-accounts scandal.
Wells Fargo agreed to pay $3 billion in fines to settle investigations with the SEC and the Justice Department.
In January, Stumpf agreed to a lifetime ban from the banking industry and a $17.5 million fine for his role in the fake-accounts scandal and other misconduct.
- I feared for my life so I lied about being an Ewe – Caleb Kudah
- Affail Monney apologises for alleging Caleb Kudah breached Code of Ethics
- Information Minister visits Citi FM over alleged assault on 2 of its journalists
- Ordering loophole allows students to eat for free at KFC for six months
- Assin North MP’s case: Cape Coast High Court dismisses allegation of bias against presiding judge
- Zoe Abu-Baidoo declined our invitation – National Security defends ‘Rambo-style’ invasion of Citi FM premises
- Caleb Kudah didn’t breach Code of Ethics – GJA General Secretary
- Occupy Ghana calls for independent body of inquiry to investigate Caleb Kudah’s assault allegations
- Remittances to Ghana shoots up to $3.6bn in 2020
- Full text: Affail Monney’s apology statement over attack on Citi FM journalists
Ghana Gas management pays courtesy call on Asantehene to update him on Nyinahin-Kumasi pipeline
Livestream: Newsfile discusses alleged assault on Citi FM journalists, Otumfuo joins ‘galamsey’ fight
German priests defy Vatican ban and bless same-sex unions
Peter Lanchene Toobu: The tomorrow I saw
Sam George: Lack of bed and ambulance led to death of a 12-year-old
Sunyani Central Rotary Club commissions 4-unit classroom block, office at Yawhima School
WISE Network donates to Beulah CHPS Zone
Tafohene furious over MP’s failure to attend commissioning of astroturf
Ghana – IMF staff mission concludes 2021 Article IV discussions
Parliament will carry out its own investigation on Citi FM journalists’ alleged assault – James Agalga
Education Ministry to distribute licenses to qualified teachers May 17
I’m surprised DSP Azugu is still at post after Ayawaso West Wuogon violence – James Agalga
Akufo-Addo opens talks with transport operators over plans to increase fares
Brian Dzansi: Why Ghana needs an Innovation and Startup Act
GIBA joins calls for independent inquiry on Citi FM journalists’ alleged assault