Audio By Carbonatix
Several U.S. military aircraft crashed in Kuwait early on Monday, but all crew members survived and were in stable condition, Kuwait’s Ministry of Defence said, as conflict widened across the Middle East.
In a separate incident, smoke was seen rising from the vicinity of the U.S. Embassy compound in Kuwait City, and fire trucks and ambulances were in the area, a witness told Reuters.
There were no responses to requests for comment on the embassy incident from the U.S. Embassy in Kuwait, or from the U.S. State Department.
Kuwait intercepted hostile drones earlier on Monday, the third consecutive day of Iranian retaliatory strikes on neighbouring Gulf states in response to U.S. and Israeli attacks on the Islamic Republic.
The Kuwait Defence Ministry statement, which was carried by the state news agency, said the crews from the crashed aircraft were evacuated and transferred to the hospital and were in stable condition. It added that the response was carried out in coordination with U.S. forces.
Iran's state media cited the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps as saying Iranian armed forces hit a U.S. plane that crashed in Kuwait.
Online video verified by Reuters as being taken in the Al Jahra area of Kuwait showed a military aircraft falling from the sky and a person parachuting in the same shot.
The Kuwaiti statement did not specify how many aircraft were involved.
Two workers were slightly injured by falling debris at Kuwait’s Mina Al-Ahmadi refinery, Kuwait's National Petroleum Company said on X.
The U.S. Embassy in Kuwait warned U.S. citizens that there was a continuing threat of missile and drone attacks in the country and urged citizens not to come to the embassy. It advised people to shelter in place, remain on the lowest floor of their residence away from windows and not go outside.
No injuries were reported after Kuwait air defences intercepted the majority of the drones near Rumaithiya and Salwa neighbourhoods, the state news agency cited the director-general of the civil defence as saying.
A series of loud blasts was heard on Monday morning in Dubai and the Qatari capital of Doha, according to Reuters witnesses. Loud bangs and sirens were heard earlier in Kuwait, according to Reuters witnesses.
Tehran said it would target U.S. bases in the region after the U.S. and Israel launched strikes on Iran on Saturday.
It has also hit a range of civilian and commercial areas across Gulf cities, widening the conflict's impact on key regional aviation and trade hubs.
Latest Stories
-
Kenyan court rules parts of law criminalising consensual sex between adolescents invalid
7 minutes -
I brag to my colleagues about being a graduate – Davido
16 minutes -
I used to run to Don Jazzy’s room to cry during hard times – Tiwa Savage
26 minutes -
Nigerian music stars, Wizkid, Asake, Tems and Burna Boy nominated for 2026 BET Awards
36 minutes -
Wizkid becomes first African artiste to hit 11 billion Spotify streams
46 minutes -
At Cannes, Almodovar says artists have duty to speak out against ‘monsters’ like Trump
55 minutes -
As cocoa prices melt down, real chocolate is making a comeback
1 hour -
UK agrees £3.7bn trade deal with six Gulf states
1 hour -
SpaceX aims for 10,000 annual launches within five years, FAA says
1 hour -
Prince-Osei Owusu nominated for MLS All-Star Game after Montreal Player of the Month award
3 hours -
AFCON U-17: Black Starlets beat South Africa 3-1 but await CAF draw of lots to determine fate
3 hours -
TikTok and YouTube ‘not safe enough’ for kids, says Ofcom
4 hours -
Samsung strike on hold – but the fight isn’t over yet. Why?
4 hours -
US charges Cuba’s Raúl Castro with murder over 1996 downing of two planes
4 hours -
A time will come they must step aside – Kwakye Ofosu warns ambitious appointees
4 hours