Audio By Carbonatix
The Minister for Roads and Highways, Kwame Governs Agbodza, has disclosed that some invitees attending the vetting proceedings of ministerial nominees were forced to sleep on the premises of Parliament after Thursday's chaotic incident at the Appointments Committee.
He explained that this situation arose due to the failure of the Appointments Committee to vet all the nominees scheduled for Thursday, January 30, as a result of the confusion that ensued.
Speaking on Wednesday, February 5, during his appearance before the committee investigating last week's chaos at the Appointments Committee, Mr Agbodza stated, "It was a very difficult situation. I can tell you that some of the invitees slept in open spaces around Parliament on that day."
He added, "Some colleagues had to beg others to allow their guests to sleep in their offices because the numbers were such that they could not afford hotels for them."
"I saw some of them entering bathrooms or washrooms in the morning. This was something the committee leadership should have considered ahead of time, as these people were already here. At one point, I approached the leadership and mentioned that I knew of a nominee who had nearly a hundred opinion leaders and chiefs already on the compound at the time. They were told they couldn’t be vetted... Sadly, I can tell you that some of them slept here," he told the committee when asked about the reason for the forced vetting of more nominees than planned.
Mr Agbodza's testimony suggested that all ten nominees had to be vetted because their guests had travelled from far, and had no place to stay if the vetting were postponed, as suggested by the minority.
On Thursday, January 30, chaos erupted during the vetting of ministerial nominees. According to reports, the confusion began when the minority opposed the vetting of more than five nominees that day.
The verbal confrontation between the legislators escalated into the destruction of tables, chairs, and microphones in the vetting room.
The Speaker of Parliament, Alban Bagbin, later condemned the incident and suspended four MPs involved in the chaos. But the suspensions were lifted after both the majority and minority leaders appealed to the Speaker to reinstate them.
The probe into the vetting chaos, led by the MP for Ho West, Emmanuel Kwasi Bedzrah, aims to collect evidence through thorough investigations and present a report to the Speaker for further action.
Latest Stories
-
Ice baths, almond milk, meditation and a ‘house like a hospital’: The secrets of Salah’s success
36 minutes -
This Saturday on Prime Insight: GN Savings and Loans licence restoration and the Abronye bail debate
2 hours -
Putin vows retaliation after accusing Ukraine of hitting student dormitory
3 hours -
2026 ACI World Congress: In Accra, a quiet reframe of how emerging markets see themselves
3 hours -
No break-in, no theft at Ashaiman showroom – Hisense Ghana clarifies
3 hours -
This Saturday on Newsfile: Attack on free speech and return of GN Bank
3 hours -
Opinion: The evidence before High Court continues to expose weakness of the Republic’s case against Wontumi
3 hours -
Ebola risk raised to ‘very high’ in DR Congo
3 hours -
I recommended Haruna and Muntaka for ministerial roles — Asiedu Nketia
4 hours -
The Cost of Macroeconomic Stabilization: An Analysis of the Bank ofGhana’s 2025 Financial Deficit
4 hours -
Isaac Nlason elected SRC President of the Ghana School of Law
4 hours -
Haruna Iddrisu takes a subtle jibe at Asiedu Nketia’s ‘Thank You Tour’
4 hours -
GSA, PTB donate 50 calibrated weighing scales to Techiman traders on World Metrology Day
4 hours -
US says temporary visa holders should leave to apply for Green Cards
4 hours -
Asiedu Nketia pledges stronger welfare support for former NDC executives
5 hours