Legendary Ghanaian boxer Azumah Nelson knows his son can emulate him by becoming a world champion in future.
Azumah Nelson Junior, an amateur boxer, has started showing signs of greatness and has the backing of his father to be successful.
Last weekend Nelson Junior failed to thrill fans at the Bukom Boxing Arena when he took to the ring in the Azumah Nelson fight night. He struggled to defeat his opponent Prosper Dzidzor.
However, his father is optimistic about his chances in the near future.
“He is an amateur boxer making his way to the top but because he is my son people are expecting from him but I believe in two years’ time, you will see him and realize that he is different. He is master of his own”.
“He is very young and had more year ahead, he is a wonderful boxer and I believe he will be a World Champion soon.
“We have several talented boxers in the country and my son is no exception. He is in school now and that is good for him.
“I really see him to be a great boxer even more than what I did.”
For the youngster, he is looking forward to ‘’surpassing’’ his father, who won dominated the sport, winning three world titles.
“Hope you know my Dad, I have everything he had. I am just like him. My Dad trains me.’’
“My target is to do better than what he did, I want to surpass his feat and become multiple World Champion and I know is going to hard work.”
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Messi haunted by Liverpool defeat
- Kanoute's attempt to give Seville its first purpose-built mosque in 700 years
- Kwesi Appiah names Andre Ayew as new Black Stars captain
- Keita set to miss Champions League final but could be ready for Guinea
- PSG boss Al-Khelaifi charged with athletics corruption
- Antonio Conte set to take charge at Inter Milan
- NC Special Cup: Kotoko qualify for semi-finals
- Prof. Wallace writes: The role of Governments in football
- Uganda FA part ways with Paa Kwesi Fabin after two months
- Sarri to discuss Chelsea future after Europa League final
- Fifa drops plans to expand 2022 World Cup to 48 teams
- Ghana's 2019 Afcon squad: Five players snubbed by Kwesi Appiah
- Four times Black Stars players retired, then came back
- AFCON 2019: Gyan named in Black Stars provisional squad
- VAR has been a success in La Liga, say Spanish referees