Ghanaian weightlifting duo, Christian Amoah and Richmond Osarfo, have won six medals at the ongoing Africa Weightlifting Junior and Youth Championship in Kampala, Uganda.
Amoah, who is a member of the Black Cranes, impressed in the 85kg category during which he won gold in snatch with a lift of 135kg, bronze in clean and jerk with a lift of 160kg and a silver medal in total with 295kg.
Osarfo, who also competed in the 105kg, won silver in all three categories of snatch, clean and jerk and the total.
The Kampala Championship, according to the president of the Ghana Olympic Committee (GOC), Ben Nunoo Mensah, who broke the news to the Graphic Sports is to keep the two athletes in shape as they prepare for next year’s Commonwealth Games slated for Gold Coast, Australia.
Amoah’s performance has brought a lot of hope to the GWF and Ghanaians since the two are among Ghana’s medal hopefuls at next year’s games.
Earlier, Amoah participated in the Commonwealth Weightlifting Championship in Gold Coast, Australia, where he snatched 135 kg and made 162kg for clean and jerk and finished with a total of 297kg.
The International Weightlifting Federation (IWF) will present the final list of athletes who will make it to the Gold Coast Games by October 31.
Meanwhile, Patrons and Executive Board Members of the GWF have congratulated Christian Amoah for his consistent performance in the sport and wished him the very best of luck in future competitions.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Dinnage to become first female Premier League chief executive
- U-17 WWC: Ghana coach eyes winning start against Uruguay
- 10 winners emerge in Maltavator Challenge season 2 Takoradi edition
- Solari to get Real Madrid job on permanent basis
- 2019 AFCON qualifier: Kwadwo Asamoah out of Ethiopia clash
- Caf calls off qualifier between Kenya and Sierra Leone
- SCOREBOARD: Results from top European leagues
- Serie A: Higuain sent off as Juventus win at AC Milan
- Ligue 1: Cavani hits hat-trick as PSG thrash Monaco
- La Liga: Real Madrid beat Celta to narrow Barca lead
- Copa Libertadores final: River Plate earn draw at Boca Juniors in thrilling first leg
- 2018 AWCON: Ghana beat South Africa in final warm-up game
- Inter Allies mar Hearts of Oak birthday to win Anniversary Cup
- Man City claim deserved derby victory over Man Utd
- Mkhitaryan rescues Arsenal against Wolves