Ghana U20 coach Jimmy Cobblah has expressed his excitement after qualifying for the 2019 Africa U20 Nations Cup over Benin on Sunday.
Following a 3-1 win at home in the first leg, the Black Satellites shared the spoils 1-1 with the Young Squirrels in the return fixture to seal their qualification on a 4-1 aggregate.
They have now joined hosts Niger, Burkina Faso, Nigeria, Burundi, Mali, South Africa and Senegal as the eight teams to participate in the tournament.
I'm a happy man now because it wasn't easy to qualify. A lot of things have changed over the few months but we remained focused," Cobblah said.
"We deserved to qualify and I'm particularly excited for the young players since they will have a bigger platform to showcase their talent.
"The first goal by Benin almost unsettled us because another goal from them would've probably gotten us eliminated but we stayed focused with our game plan and eventually equalised which gave us a huge advantage."
Cobblah, however, admitted the need to beef up his squad before the final tournament in Niger early next year.
"We have a solid team but there are few positions that need reinforcements. We'll be on the lookout for excellent additions so that we can participate very well in the Afcon next year," he said.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Ronaldo will not face charges over alleged rape
- Hearts of Oak release goalkeeper Ernest Sowah
- Chelsea defender Ethan Ampadu joins RB Leipzig on loan
- Betway Talent Search 2019: Desire FC win Northern Zone
- 'Zidane is a disgrace!' - Bale's agent slams Real Madrid boss
- Ghana Football Awards: Partey retains Footballer of the Year crown
- Pacquiao beats Thurman on points to take WBA Super welterweight title
- CAF Competitions: Kotoko set for Nigerian challenge and Ashgold get Equatoguinean opponents
- Herve Renard resigns as Morocco coach
- Sports Minister to brief parliament on AFCON2019
- Bale 'very close' to exit - Zinedine Zidane.
- AFCON 2019: The tournament of the underdog
- Man Utd reject Inter Milan's £54m Lukaku bid
- The #JoyAFCON Team of the Tournament
- Senegal 0-1 Algeria: Five things we learned