Ghana U20 coach Jimmy Cobblah has expressed his excitement after qualifying for the 2019 Africa U20 Nations Cup over Benin on Sunday.
Following a 3-1 win at home in the first leg, the Black Satellites shared the spoils 1-1 with the Young Squirrels in the return fixture to seal their qualification on a 4-1 aggregate.
They have now joined hosts Niger, Burkina Faso, Nigeria, Burundi, Mali, South Africa and Senegal as the eight teams to participate in the tournament.
I'm a happy man now because it wasn't easy to qualify. A lot of things have changed over the few months but we remained focused," Cobblah said.
"We deserved to qualify and I'm particularly excited for the young players since they will have a bigger platform to showcase their talent.
"The first goal by Benin almost unsettled us because another goal from them would've probably gotten us eliminated but we stayed focused with our game plan and eventually equalised which gave us a huge advantage."
Cobblah, however, admitted the need to beef up his squad before the final tournament in Niger early next year.
"We have a solid team but there are few positions that need reinforcements. We'll be on the lookout for excellent additions so that we can participate very well in the Afcon next year," he said.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- First Ghana goal excites Caleb Ekuban
- Ghana 1-0 Kenya: Five things we learned
- Player Ratings: Ghana 1-0 Kenya
- 2019 Afcon qualifier: Ekuban debut goal saves Ghana's blushes
- U-23 Afcon qualifier: Ghana thrash Gabon 4-0 in first leg
- 2019 AFCON: Burundi seal historic qualification
- 2019 AFCON qualifier: Ghana vs Kenya preview
- Sterling bags hat-trick as England thrash Czech Republic
- Portugal draw blank against Ukraine on Ronaldo's return
- Messi returns but Argentina lose 3-1 to Venezuela
- Normalisation Committee to stay on another six months
- [Infographic + video]: Why Kwesi Appiah may have no choice than to select benchwarmers
- Juventus say choosing Asia over U.S. for ICC not related to Ronaldo rape allegation
- Bijou Homes sponsors finals of 2019 Ghana Rugby Football Championship
- Joy Sports editor Ridwan Asante donates jerseys to two colts clubs