Ghana U20 coach Jimmy Cobblah has expressed his excitement after qualifying for the 2019 Africa U20 Nations Cup over Benin on Sunday.
Following a 3-1 win at home in the first leg, the Black Satellites shared the spoils 1-1 with the Young Squirrels in the return fixture to seal their qualification on a 4-1 aggregate.
They have now joined hosts Niger, Burkina Faso, Nigeria, Burundi, Mali, South Africa and Senegal as the eight teams to participate in the tournament.
I'm a happy man now because it wasn't easy to qualify. A lot of things have changed over the few months but we remained focused," Cobblah said.
"We deserved to qualify and I'm particularly excited for the young players since they will have a bigger platform to showcase their talent.
"The first goal by Benin almost unsettled us because another goal from them would've probably gotten us eliminated but we stayed focused with our game plan and eventually equalised which gave us a huge advantage."
Cobblah, however, admitted the need to beef up his squad before the final tournament in Niger early next year.
"We have a solid team but there are few positions that need reinforcements. We'll be on the lookout for excellent additions so that we can participate very well in the Afcon next year," he said.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- CAF CC: Kotoko reach group stage for first time in 11 years
- Man City score their 100th goal of season to beat managerless Huddersfield
- Pacquiao beats Broner to retain WBA world title on points
- Federer beaten by Tsitsipas in Australian Open fourth round
- Impressive Arsenal beat Chelsea to stay in top four race
- Ligue 1: PSG put nine past Guingamp for record-breaking win
- SCOREBOARD: Results from top European leagues
- La Liga: Real Madrid climb to third with vital win over Sevilla
- Liverpool survive Palace scare to move seven points clear
- Pogba and Rashford give Solskjaer seventh straight Man Utd win
- FIFA condemns undercover investigator killing
- Callum Hudson-Odoi: Chelsea in talks with Bayern Munich target
- Kwesi Appiah will be sacked if Ghana fail to win 2019 AFCON
- Mybet.Africa offers bonus for Kotoko-Coton Sports match
- Chelsea striker Morata 'agrees to join Atletico Madrid'