Ghana U20 coach Jimmy Cobblah has expressed his excitement after qualifying for the 2019 Africa U20 Nations Cup over Benin on Sunday.
Following a 3-1 win at home in the first leg, the Black Satellites shared the spoils 1-1 with the Young Squirrels in the return fixture to seal their qualification on a 4-1 aggregate.
They have now joined hosts Niger, Burkina Faso, Nigeria, Burundi, Mali, South Africa and Senegal as the eight teams to participate in the tournament.
I'm a happy man now because it wasn't easy to qualify. A lot of things have changed over the few months but we remained focused," Cobblah said.
"We deserved to qualify and I'm particularly excited for the young players since they will have a bigger platform to showcase their talent.
"The first goal by Benin almost unsettled us because another goal from them would've probably gotten us eliminated but we stayed focused with our game plan and eventually equalised which gave us a huge advantage."
Cobblah, however, admitted the need to beef up his squad before the final tournament in Niger early next year.
"We have a solid team but there are few positions that need reinforcements. We'll be on the lookout for excellent additions so that we can participate very well in the Afcon next year," he said.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- 2019 AFCON qualifier: Kwadwo Asamoah out of Ethiopia clash
- Caf calls off qualifier between Kenya and Sierra Leone
- SCOREBOARD: Results from top European leagues
- Serie A: Higuain sent off as Juventus win at AC Milan
- Ligue 1: Cavani hits hat-trick as PSG thrash Monaco
- La Liga: Real Madrid beat Celta to narrow Barca lead
- Copa Libertadores final: River Plate earn draw at Boca Juniors in thrilling first leg
- 2018 AWCON: Ghana beat South Africa in final warm-up game
- Inter Allies mar Hearts of Oak birthday to win Anniversary Cup
- Man City claim deserved derby victory over Man Utd
- Mkhitaryan rescues Arsenal against Wolves
- Messi returns but Barca beaten at home by rampant Betis
- McDan Group takes boxing to Tamale
- Liverpool make hard work of victory over struggling Fulham
- Host Ghana name final squad for 2018 AWCON