Head of Coach of Nigeria’s home-based Super Eagles Salisu Yusuf has stated that the team will show respect to their yet-to-be-decided quarter-final opponents at the 2018 CHAN tournament in Morocco.
The home-based Eagles secured a last 8 spot after coming from behind to beat Equatorial Guinea 3-1on Tuesday but will have to wait till Wednesday night to know their quarter-final foes – runners-up from Group D.
Group D leaders Congo, second-placed Angola and Burkina Faso could each be Nigeria’s opponents in Sunday’s quarter-final showdown in Tangier.
However, the Eagles handler says he has no preference regarding his side’s next opposition.
“I think at this level you don’t have a choice of which team you want to play,” the former Kano Pillars coach stated in a post-match press conference in Agadir.
“If you qualify in first place, you play the second-placed team in the other group. You can play any team.
“As far as I am concerned, any team that qualified for this tournament deserves our respect, and we’ll remain humble in facing each team. We respect all teams,” he said.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Manner of Gyan's retirement reveals true, fractured state of Black Stars
- Asamoah Gyan retires from Black Stars
- Ghana can end AFCON drought with TB Joshua's help - Richard Kingson
- Why African players are dominating European leagues
- Bolivian referee dies after collapsing during match
- Kofi Addo-Agyekum grateful to SWAG
- 'Quality not enough' to win Afcon - Thomas Partey
- Guardiola: 'Incredible' treble not enough for Man City without Champions League
- Real Madrid midfielder Kroos extends contract until 2023
- NC Special Cup: Yacouba returns to inspire Kotoko to victory, Hearts confirm top spot in Premier B
- Nadal defeats Djokovic in Italian Open final to win first title of year
- Barca held by Eibar despite Messi double
- Real Madrid end campaign with 12th league defeat
- Deontay Wilder knocks out Dominic Breazeale in first round to defend title
- Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany to leave after 11 years