President Akufo-Addo has backed the decision by Coach Kwesi Appiah to hand over the captaincy of the senior national football team, the Black Stars, to a different player other than Asamoah Gyan.
The president reportedly threw his support behind the decision in a telephone conversation with Coach Tuesday, May 21, Joy Sports can report.
Asamoah Gyan in a statement issued Monday, May 20, said he will not feature for the Black Stars at the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations.
Gyan 33 and Ghana’s all-time goal scorer, claimed that he was reliably informed the trainer intends to name a different player as the new captain for the team going into the 2019 AFCON while he (Gyan) is made the general captain.
Read also: André Ayew set to be named new Ghana captain
The competition is exactly a month away in Egypt.
Following the shock announcement by Gyan, President Akufo-Addo called Appiah on the phone to seek further clarification on the development.
The president asked about the current happenings on the Black Stars, notably the surprise retirement of skipper Asamoah Gyan.
President Akufo-Addo visited Black Stars ahead of the 2019 AFCON qualifier against Ethiopia in Addis Ababa
Appiah apprised Nana Akufo-Addo of his decision relating to the issue and the president, in turn, backed the coach 100%, expressing his confidence in Appiah’s team choices.
Gyan was named the captain of the Black Stars days before the 2013 AFCON tournament.
There are suggestions the coach will name Gyan’s deputy, Andre Dede Ayew as the substantive captain when he releases his provisional squad for the AFCON.
Kwesi Appiah will in the coming days announce his provisional squad which will start preparations for the tournament in Abu Dhabi, UAE.
The senior national team last won the competition in Libya in 1982.
Since then they have been to three finals and this year in Egypt they are in a group alongside holders Cameroon, Guinea-Bissau and Benin.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Afcon 2019: Benin restores parity; Ghana 2:2 Benin
- AFCON 2019: Cameroon too strong for Guinea-Bissau
- AFCON 2019: Why this may be Ghana's best yet
- AFCON 2019: Black Stars XI v Benin - Kwadwo Asamoah benched
- AFCON 2019: Can Ghana win? Kinna Likimani doubts
- AL-SMITH: The Black Stars patriotism, under scrutiny, demands an emphatic answer
- Cameroon v Guinea-Bissau: Kick-off time, team news, head-to-head, form and more
- Afcon 2019: Ayew optimistic about Ghana victory against Benin today
- Ghana v Benin: Kick-off time, team news, head-to-head, form and more
- AFCON 2019: Mali dominant in win against Mauritania
- Jordan Ayew, the stagnation of a one-time Ghana prodigy
- AFCON 2019: Cameroon's Joel Tagueu ruled out of tournament with heart defect
- Prof. Wallace writes: Black Stars' pre-tournament 'goal drought'; a cause for concern?
- AFCON 2019: Djalma secures crucial point for Angola against Tunisia
- AFCON 2019: Asamoah Gyan set for another milestone