Former Ghana international Sulley Muntari has asked to be included in Black Stars squad for the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations.
This was revealed by GFA Normalisation Committee chairman Dr Kofi Amoah.
With the head coach, Kwesi Appiah set to name his provisional squad for the tournament in the coming weeks, Muntari is said to be ready to accept a call-up and wouldn’t mind playing a bit-part role in Egypt.
The 34-year-old has made just two appearances since joining Spanish second-tier side Albacete on loan in January.
“I had a call from Sulley Muntari and the way he was talking with passion I couldn't believe it,” Amoah said on Metro TV.
“He said if coach Kwesi Appiah will only play him for 15 minutes, he will be grateful and accept it.”
“This is a player who was clubless but now playing regularly but I think the final decision is in the hands of the coach,” he added.
Muntari, a one-time favourite of Ghanaians. has not featured for the national team since 2014 when he was sacked from the Black Stars camp during the Fifa World Cup in Brazil for indiscipline.
He has been capped 84 times by Ghana and scored 20 goals.
Ghana will play in Group F of the Afcon alongside Cameroon, Benin and Guinea-Bissau.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Kwasi Appiah forced Gyan to retire - Asamoah’s Aide
- André Ayew set to be named new Ghana captain
- Highlights: Asamoah Gyan, 16 years a Black Star [Video + infographic]
- Manner of Gyan's retirement reveals true, fractured state of Black Stars
- Asamoah Gyan retires from Black Stars
- Ghana can end AFCON drought with TB Joshua's help - Richard Kingson
- Why African players are dominating European leagues
- Bolivian referee dies after collapsing during match
- Kofi Addo-Agyekum grateful to SWAG
- 'Quality not enough' to win Afcon - Thomas Partey
- Guardiola: 'Incredible' treble not enough for Man City without Champions League
- Real Madrid midfielder Kroos extends contract until 2023
- NC Special Cup: Yacouba returns to inspire Kotoko to victory, Hearts confirm top spot in Premier B
- Nadal defeats Djokovic in Italian Open final to win first title of year
- Barca held by Eibar despite Messi double